Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been looking around the net & forum for reptile bark
now ive found it online for sale at a major bark supplier (reptile bark) being one of there products.
it is advertised as pine bark in the mix....
Thoughts please as many years ago I did use to use pine fresh wood based cat litter without any problems

·
Registered
59 Posts
Pine's bad for snakes, well the sap I think it is, sap is in the inner bark and other inner layers of the tree, not so much the outer bark. Play bark and reptile bark is made from outer bark, and is also screened and aged before being sold for various uses. So yup, you're fine to use pine bark. Play bark is cheaper but dirtier as a general rule, and if you're still not sure about pine bark, you can get beech chips for the same price, about £20 for 70l.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using newspaper at mo. Looking to get either artificial grass or orchid bark.
The amount retics pee & poo will need to change bark weekly as won't really see pee so
Could be very expensive in long run

·
Registered
750 Posts
Ive been looking around the net & forum for reptile bark
now ive found it online for sale at a major bark supplier (reptile bark) being one of there products.
it is advertised as pine bark in the mix....
Thoughts please as many years ago I did use to use pine fresh wood based cat litter without any problems
The Orchid Bark that I use sometimes gets advertised as Pine Bark.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You can see the wet patch when they piss, I just scoop out the bad bit and replace. Also, the humidity rises so you know to look. Betty my boa needs a single dust pan scoop removed max after doing her business, how often do retics go, and how much? I've got fake grass in mine, but only on the shelves and so far they haven't left me anything up there. If you go with the grass, you could have two pieces, and swap them over when necessary.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bark

The Orchid Bark that I use sometimes gets advertised as Pine Bark.
ive kept snakes for probably near on 30 years now & used many different substrates but always believed it was just cedar toxic to reptiles...
as you said the reptile bark is often pine.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bark

You can see the wet patch when they piss, I just scoop out the bad bit and replace. Also, the humidity rises so you know to look. Betty my boa needs a single dust pan scoop removed max after doing her business, how often do retics go, and how much? I've got fake grass in mine, but only on the shelves and so far they haven't left me anything up there. If you go with the grass, you could have two pieces, and swap them over when necessary.
my young retics tend to pee 2 or 3 times a week plus poo once a week.
I think spot cleaning with bark I cant guarantee getting all of it to be honest where as paper simple easy to see & takes 10 mins to do a complete clean out.
if I fet fake grass I would get 2 pieces to do a quick change.
I use aubiose for my little hognoses so may give that a try as it is very cheap & can do a complete change twice a week easily without the big expense of bark.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts