Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking at getting some barking gecko's and would love to see and hear what vivarium setup suits these little gecko's.

I was planning to get a 60x45x45 exo terra which from what i've read online should comfortably house a pair or trio. How should I then kit this out?

Any help/input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No Barking Gecko owners around then??? Find that odd...:whistling2:

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Hi,
I house 1.3 in a 3ft wooden viv,i have a thin layer of sand/eco earth mix as substrate,heat mat covering 1/3 of the floor(statted to 84-86 degrees).
Two hides on the warm end,then another 3 dotted around the cool end,they love plenty of hides.They have wood and stone to climb,as they love to explore and are very inquisitive.I keep a small dish of pure calcium in at all times as with clean fresh water daily,mine do drink from a water bowl,but you'll probably find that they would happily just lick it off viv decor etc,I mist the cool end roughly 3 times a week..
These little geckos are very entertaining to watch,they do tolerate some handling,but prefer to be left alone(imo).
Hope this is a little helpfull.
Vicky

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info Vicky any chance of a pic please? Been thinking of using a mixture of excavator, with peat moss and sand. Could make plenty of hides/burrows with excavator and can make it look really natural which is what I am wanting from this viv. Had Leo's for years kept on just paper towels and ice cream tubs as hides, wanna make something as natural as possible.

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
No Barking Gecko owners around then??? Find that odd...:whistling2:
you know I have some :Na_Na_Na_Na:
I find that they like plenty of nooks and crannies to hide in ~ usually the smaller the better ~ and I provide small moist hides part-filled with damp eco-earth for them as opposed to misting the viv.... the males are kept seperate as they can really pester the girls

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Thanks for the info Vicky any chance of a pic please? Been thinking of using a mixture of excavator, with peat moss and sand. Could make plenty of hides/burrows with excavator and can make it look really natural which is what I am wanting from this viv. Had Leo's for years kept on just paper towels and ice cream tubs as hides, wanna make something as natural as possible.
You just reminded me that i bought some "herp pottery"some months ago(still in the boot of my car):lol2:to do just that...I'm sure they will love it..Just need to make sure that you can access the hides if needed..I'll take some pictures later and download them over the next day or two.
Vicky

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks you two, already both been a great help and i'm sure we will talk alot more on these superb lil geckos in the coming months when I finally get some to work with. Really wanna breed this species of gecko finding them so fascinating atm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts