Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got my viv in preperation for getting my Beardie next week and basically bought the package they were selling with the viv which included the UV tube, a heat mat and a basking bulb.
I just had a small question and possible concern. I was given a blue day bulb. I would have prefered a plain white bulb but I didn't notice this untill I got it home.

I'm sure I ready on some post somewhere that some of the painted coloured bulbs can give off a faint odour, which I think mine is (or I might just be paranoid after reading that post), is this at risk of being harmful for myself or the beardies?

I was just going to do as was suggested by several people on here and buy spot 100W spot bulbs from B&Q or something for half the price of the pet stores. Will allways try and keep a back up bulb just in case one goes.

Was also wondering about this little detail.....how do you attatch the heat mat to the back of thie viv? It's got a plastic edge around it where I was considering using small tacks to knock it in to the wood at the back of the viv but I'd need to make sure they're knocked all the way home so my beardie doesn't catch itself. I'm asuming it would be best not to use any kind of adheasive or tape that could melt, give off fumes and maybe fall off (on to the beardie)?
How did those of you who have your mats on the back get round this?

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
personally i wouldnt put the mat on the back i would put it on the floor of the viv. :) we use spot light bulbs for basking (make sure they are in a cage so ur beardie doesnt get burnt).as for the blue bulbs i dont use them and probably never will.cant go wrong with a uv and a spotlight bulb at 60w.and dont forget to change your uv every 6 months :)

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
i used drawing pins to hold the mat to the underside of a shelf for my boa, when they are pushed all the way in they sit nice and flat against the mat, so no chance of your beardie getting caught. i got 2 bayonet fitting spot bulbs, 100 watt, from b&q yesterday, so go for them, they only cost £1.08 for 2. tapes not a good idea as reps have an uncanny knack of getting stuck to it.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
hiya.
Yeh just get a 100w spot from b&q, spot on.
I tape heatmats to the back with ordinary tape [cellotape] no problems.
But yes, you can penetrate the clear plastic bit around the edges without any problems.
If you have a flat pack viv as we did you can take the vents out and slip them back in, holding the mat in place quite well, just add a bit of tape for extra security.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When people say the bottom of the viv is that on the underside of the viv or inside under the substrate? Problem is I can't stick it underneath as it's on a stand that isn't quite as wide as the viv.

Was planning on using the pins on the back wall idea. Might get a red night bulb at some point though. The basking bulb, heat mat and uv tube was just a starter package that came with the viv.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I never liked using heat mats in my beardies enclosures, they can't sense heat from below and get no real benefit from it, even if your temps at night go below 70 you could just try a ceramit heat emitter.

As a basking bulb I always use a halogen par 38 flood bulb , the light shining down is in a very focused area so heats up the basking spot nicely, this bulb heats up one of my pure glass tanks with a mesh top to 105+ degrees alone. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts