Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i was wondering if you could help me, i was just yesterday been told my beardie does not need a basking bulb it can get his heat from the ceramic heating bulb (250w) and use this as basking spot???

the reason for this question is becxause im having to seperate my two beardies as they are only young and ive built a 5ft x 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 vivarium for one off them and now im doing the heating and lights.

thank you in advance :2thumb:

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
beardies sence heat by light so light is better. But this will spark a huge debate like it always does

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
Unless you need the ceramic for nighttime heating I'd stick with a basking light - it makes it more obvious to the beardie where to sit, and makes the cage as a whole brighter. If you are going to go down the ceramic route, I'd recommend getting a couple of low energy lights to go in there in addition to the UV to make it nice and bright.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
basking bulb????

hi the guy said at shop for other lights instead of just havin blue uv light 10.0 us a 2.0 one aswel and it looks nice and bright hole way down the viv and viv is 5 and hlf ft lng is this like what you mean??

o yh i will use ceramic heat at night as my house gets pretty cold at night n dont mean to start a debate:blush:

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
lol its always a debate on here but always gives you an overal picture.

In my opinion the best setup is an arcadia 12% UVB strip as long as the viv. with a heat bulb on a dimming stat. both on 14 hours timing. Then use a ceramic at night on a pulse proportional stat if you have a cold house like I do

·
Registered
728 Posts
Have to agree with steve on that one, although i would say between 12 - 14 hours depending on season, basically following the natural sun pattern. I.E winter it would be 12, spring 13, summer 14 hours, autumn 13 hours. I would also recommend a reflector on ur uv bulb x

1 - 7 of 7 Posts