Reptile Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been asked a million times but I'm blonde and a newbie to reptiles, so please help as I am confusing myself! I am building a viv for a beardie, 4x2x2, I have a 150w ceramic with reflector on a Habistat pulse stat, and a 36" Repti10 UV on a timer. Do I need an additional heat/basking light and if so, can I use a red bulb? Please please can someone share their knowledge with me and put an end to my confusion! :oops:

·
Banned
6,045 Posts
With a 150w ceramic and a Repti10 UV tube you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
AmandaTrainer said:
Thanks. If I wanted to add a red bulb for effect would that still be okay?
Yes but you will Probably need both on a stat... thing is you have to get a temperture gradient so if they were at opposite ends you would get it... if they were both together it would be pretty pointless...

If you want to add something for effect.. add a very small bulb that perhaps you could switch on and off. Halegen bulbs give off virtually no heat!?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You could add a low wattage (say 25w, maybe 40w) normal red bulb - as long as it's near the ceramic/stat probe, the extra heat generated by the bulb will be counteracted by the stat which will then turn down the ceramic and balance things out.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
mark67123 said:
You could add a low wattage (say 25w, maybe 40w) normal red bulb - as long as it's near the ceramic/stat probe, the extra heat generated by the bulb will be counteracted by the stat which will then turn down the ceramic and balance things out.
If its something that low you could probably house it anywhere in a viv that size TBH....

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Sorry, but i dont see the point of a red bulb, it would have to be turned off at night with the uv anyway or the bd wouldnt no when its day or night and would get really stressed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your help guys, great to know there's all that knowledge out there and you're all so willing to share x much appreciated x

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
markhill said:
Sorry, but i dont see the point of a red bulb, it would have to be turned off at night with the uv anyway or the bd wouldnt no when its day or night and would get really stressed.
The red bulb would not have to be turned off at night. The point of using a red bulb is that reptiles are unable to detect light in the red spectrum (due to its wavelength), so it appears dark to them whilst allowing us to view and heat the animal.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Pendlehog, i know that reps arent supposed to be able to see red light but since i changed the lights in my vivs to red bulbs for night heating my Royal wont eat, so i dont really believe that anymore, just a personnal experience that i thought i'd share.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I have to admit I have my doubts about red lamps too! I know most people use them with no problems but I have never seen a physiological or behavioural study on the use of red light and reptiles ability to see it.

I actually only used ceramics in my vivs, so I can only go on what others say in terms of whether their reps can see red light.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Personally I reckon snakes can see red light in vivs, and have heard others say the same.
I have my royal in a 50L really useful heated by mats, but have a red bulb rigged up on a dimmer switch that I use when feeding (which I have to do in the dark). If he/she's out when I put the red light on (on a dimmer so kept very dim) there is a noticeable initial reaction to it.

Could it be a case of the red light being reflected off paler surfaces within the viv and therefore becoming visible light??

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
im also unsure,
"doesnt dissrupt day night cycles" is what is usually quoted on boxes etc which could sugest it isnt like white light and then theyd know its night time...cos of the abscence of white light... but dont really say they cannot see it atall.
I have witnessed things that sugest reps can at the least sense the light..but as that light also goes with heat coming from the bulb in the normal basking bulb manner its hard to be sure if its the light that is actually being recognised.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts