Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so what do you find the best thing for a basking point? a rock under the light or wood?

what do you find the best thing to use?

·
Registered
468 Posts
i did my dissertation on how much time bearded dragons spend on different materials (wood, rock and plastic) to achieve their optimum temperature through basking, and i found that distance between the bulb and the object provided for basking plays the biggest factor in how long they spend on each (if the wood is closer to the bulb they spend less time on it compared to rock for example) but on overall wooden basking sites seem to be preferred, with rock very slightly bellow it, but i provide both for mine and he like going between the two

·
Registered
463 Posts
Depends on the species and the temperatures you need to achieve. For monitors or species that require a very high basking spot, stone works well. Slate or concrete flag stones hold heat well and help up the temps. They hold the heat at night well too. :2thumb:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Depends on the species and the temperatures you need to achieve. For monitors or species that require a very high basking spot, stone works well. Slate or concrete flag stones hold heat well and help up the temps. They hold the heat at night well too. :2thumb:
very true, the thermal conductivity of each varies, stone holds heat the best and then gently radiates this heat even when the heat source is turned off. wood tends to warm up very quickly and cool quite quickly too, as said above its all species dependant :2thumb:

·
Registered
17,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that was my thoughts, will hold heat more than a softer based matrial.

but also i guess there is the factor of how far from the heat it is too. at the moment i'm using ceramic with a lump of cork bark underneith. and getting temps of around 120f which was better than the rock, due to it being higher. will be switching to a bulb shortly. so may have to play about with what gets used. i'm kinda hoping it will produce a better basking spot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts