Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
should i run my basking spot through a habbistat or just straight through the mains. my viv is 3ft long.
any suggestions? :?:

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Oh god def. through a dimming stat!

As if it gets too hot the bulb dims down and rises again when the temp drops. Great peice of equipment that i would be lost without. Without a dimmer stat the bulb will just stay on all the time and the temp will keep rising, making the vivarium very hot.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thought it would be the best idea. how long do you guys keep your basking bulb on for?

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
With my lot it's 12 hours on and then at night i lower the temp down to the 70's. You could turn it off at night but i prefer to leave mine on and just lower the temp.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea im using two bulbs, scince ive added the basking blub, the heat lamp hasnt really come on, im going to give it a little while if its not on in the next 30mins to and hour then im just going to stick with the heat lamp.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
erm i just use the one bulb for all my vivs as the basking light will also give off enough heat for the viv if it doesnt i use a heatmat have you got any pics of your set-up?
manda xx

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol, thats who im with. not to worry now i have removed the basking bulb and the heat lamp came straight on. Thats all i used before, my set up was 1 u.v bulb, and a 150watt ifared heat bulb. It supplyed enough heat. i only added the basking bulb because people said i neede one, but then others said i didnt. im not going to bother now, im just going to stay with what ive got. :wink:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
TAZZ008 said:
lol, thats who im with. not to worry now i have removed the basking bulb and the heat lamp came straight on. Thats all i used before, my set up was 1 u.v bulb, and a 150watt ifared heat bulb. It supplyed enough heat. i only added the basking bulb because people said i neede one, but then others said i didnt. im not going to bother now, im just going to stay with what ive got. :wink:
people may have meant to use white light bulb for basking instead of the red one...same job...but more natural looking and feeling for the lizard.
You could switch to the red one in the evenings once the uv light goes out if u need to keep temps up couldnt u?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I have found recently that in a couple of my vivs, i get home from work and the heat light (basking) isnt on, or only ona little as the dimmer has turned it down.

Do any of you guys find this a problem?

The ambient temprerature much reach XXX but the lizards still need their hot basking area, but if the dimmer turns the bulb down, they dont have one.

Hope that makes sense?

Gary

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I have this problem when its hot mate, Don't worry cos it's not a pro-long thing so they should be o.k, after all, you don't want the viv to get too hot. One of the miracles of having a dimmer stat, now people should stop asking if it's nessary to have a dimmer stat. As this provea why we need one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts