Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a thread about these before but my interest wasn't peaked then.
Just curious about them, anyone know much about them? Size, weight etc?
Anyone got decent pics? Google came back with a load of rubbish.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
There's a few isnt there? The one that springs to mind for me is the asian rat snake, not sure of its name that lives in caves and hunts for dead bats - the only snake to hunt for dead prey iirc. Plus there's the boas that hang out of trees waiting for bats to fly by and grabs them.

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
There's a few isnt there? The one that springs to mind for me is the asian rat snake, not sure of its name that lives in caves and hunts for dead bats - the only snake to hunt for dead prey iirc. Plus there's the boas that hang out of trees waiting for bats to fly by and grabs them.

where there is a food supply, something will find a way to exploite it!!:no1:

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
epicrates is notorious for this...insular species.

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
I think the guy is meaning Bateaters as in the Burmese x Retic hybrids and not species that take bats as natural prey.
Chaz Thompson at Snakes n Adders has one mate,try him for info.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorrys guys, shoulda been more specific.
Yeah I mean bateaters as in, Burmese X Retic.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
The name 'Bat-Eater' was coined when it was put on a trade list as a joke for the newly created hybrid, they jokingly pretended it was a new species. The name on the trade list gained alot of interest, so stuck around!

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmm... looking at it, they aint that impressive.
One benifit I can see... if you only got room for 1 big snake and can't choose between a retic or a burm. lol

·
Premium Member
13,877 Posts
Hmm... looking at it, they aint that impressive.
One benifit I can see... if you only got room for 1 big snake and can't choose between a retic or a burm. lol
Actually they cost a bit more than I thought. Bob Clark lists them at $2500!

I'm not a big fan but I do like the Jungle retic (bateater x retic).

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Think I would rather have a nice retic.
I am curious as to the size of these.. as in.. do they have the length of a retic or girth of a burm or both, kinda thing.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think the guy is meaning Bateaters as in the Burmese x Retic hybrids and not species that take bats as natural prey.
Chaz Thompson at Snakes n Adders has one mate,try him for info.
Charles no longer has his bateater. It was very pretty, similar to a jaguar carpet.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Think I would rather have a nice retic.
I am curious as to the size of these.. as in.. do they have the length of a retic or girth of a burm or both, kinda thing.
I had a Bateater x Burmese and she was a beautiful snake - very pale base colour with darker markings and a head more like a Retic than a burm. Sadly she died young but at around 6ft was somewhere between a burm and a retic of that size in girth.

Very placid nature and an excellent feeder. She was growing at a good rate and my guess is she would have remained closer to a Retic in girth but probably exceeded typical Burmese length.

The only problem with her was an eye which dehydrated between sheds - something the vet thought was a genetic problem - but since she seemed to retain some sight in it we just left it alone.

I was gutted to lose her.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts