Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering the easiest or most accurate way to tell the differenct between a BCC and a BCI.. Any advice appreciated. :wink:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
well did try ask one of them but poor snake suffered from multiple personality disorder ...so was not a very reliable answer metinks...lol

Ok I move over mate

soz ...its just I finished work and off a few days and well happy !!

Take care

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
I believe the only correct way to do it is count the scales... not sure where from or where to mind? Sure its on google somewhere :D

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SnakeyPete said:
well did try ask one of them but poor snake suffered from multiple personality disorder ...so was not a very reliable answer metinks...lol

Ok I move over mate

soz ...its just I finished work and off a few days and well happy !!

Take care
erm, thanks.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
welshgaz said:
I believe the only correct way to do it is count the scales... not sure where from or where to mind? Sure its on google somewhere :D
Thanks Gaz, I will have a look for that.. 8)

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, I just read its the scales on the belly although it didnt give a scale count :cry: Will keep looking! 8)

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
There are a couple of indicators you can use to determine if your Boa is a common (B.c.imperator) or true red tailed (B.c.constrictor).
As far as I am aware general pointers of your Boa being a true red tail are a much sharper, cleaner pattern with a little speckling, a much more crimson red than orangey red tail colour, bat shaped saddles and eyebrow patterns instead of a crossline on the head. Bcc's should, to be classed as true red tailed boas, have less than 22 saddles.

A B.c.constrictor;
http://urmstonaquatics.invisionzone.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=1566

And a B.c.imperator;
http://urmstonaquatics.invisionzone.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=1567

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
less than 20 saddles from back of head to vent,presence of widows peaks and no cross head marking are the best indicators,however you can be fooled by crosses,experience gives the edge in that situation
regards gaz

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your replies.. I am not too bothered only that someone on another forum mentioned that one of mine is a BCC.. It turns out that my 9.5ft Female BCI is in fact a Male! Imagine my suprise when I started pairing them up! lol Pretty big male!

The one round my neck is the Female and the one in my hands is the male! I originally thought they were both females!

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
look B.c.i to me

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Me too, I have always thought it was BCI but thought I'd check after someone thought otherwise.. :lol:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Hang on I'm confused....

less that 20 saddles and a cross on the head indicates that its BCI?? or have i completely ballsed that up :oops:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Many thanks for posting those pic's, I'm sure I have seen them before & was trawling to find them to show them my hubby and bugger me there they are (he wanted to do a full grown visualisation) they are absolutely stunning ..many thanks again :D

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
redtails=less than 20 saddles head to snout +arrow head marking
bci=more than 20 saddles with USUALLY a cross head marking on the head

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
welshgaz said:
OK so where would you class these two....

Boa 1

Boa 2

??????????????
both look bci to me,can you make the pics bigger??
regards gaz

1 - 20 of 22 Posts