Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a seven years break and thanks to my son (he has recently acquired a snow corn), I am looking to start this great hobby again. Previously I have kept garter, corns and 1 yellow rat snake - a particularly large and snappy lady who was the last to pass away. This time I want to go a little bigger and narrowed my choice to either a common or columbian rainbow (can do without the feeding stress of royals).

I would like to limit the fully grown size to 6-7ft and hence considering the CRB (female), although I think a male BCI should be ok. More important is temperament since I like to handle. While I understand that no guarantee is possible, I am interested in hearing the comments from anyone with experience of both and which is the calmer.

Also any comments on heating appreciated, I understand that heat mats are now sometimes frowned upon.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have a CRB and think they are great. Mine is amazingly tame and never has struck at me or anything. I cant really comment on the BCI's but I like my CRB. They are "apparently" (please don't hurt me BCI owners) a little more difficult to keep due to strict temps and humidty requirements, but I don't know if that is true.

BCI's are really nice, but it really depend on what you are looking for from a snake.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
BCI everytime! I think that these boas are easier to look after than the CRB as there humidity requirements are no where near as high, temps are more or less the same. BCIs are also very docile in general.

As you pointed out a male will generally grow around the 6ft mark... you'd be a lucky man getting one that grew over 8ft but they have been known.

Heating wise I use reptile radiators now coupled with heat matts. There is nothing wrong with heat matts as long as they are all on a stat so they don't burn you snake. Large ceramic bulbs will also do the job without fuss....

G

·
For me personally it would be the BCI but that is because i prefer them.CRB's to me look dull and if i was going for one of the Rainboa Boas then it would have to be a BRB but as stated that is all down to personal preference.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I have to agree with Greenphase on every point, the colour of a Brazilian Rainbow Boa is much nicer than a CRB, but i prefer the BCI over both, which is why I have one :D

·
Banned
6,045 Posts
welshgaz said:
As you pointed out a male will generally grow around the 6ft mark... you'd be a lucky man getting one that grew over 8ft but they have been known.
Makes me a lucky man then as we have a male BCI aroound the 8-9ft mark :lol:

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
I would go for the BCI personally,they are great captive snakes that are easy to care for,feed and generally very docile.However,to expect even a male to stop at 6ft may be wishful thinking,and I have personally kept and known many many male BCI over the 8ft mark.It is more likely with a female,but certainly not unusual in males,particularly with captive feeding regimes.Go for the BCI,but expect to house an 8ft+ snake,that way you won't get any unwelcome surprises!!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the replies. I was already edging to the BCI since they are stunning. I did also consider a BRB but I want to make the care as simple as possible. The CRB is a little dull (sorry CRB fans).

So BCI it is. I don't see 8ft being a problem if it happens and a large enough viv is planned for, and it would not be a nasty surprise for me (but maybe to the wife!).

I will post some snaps at a later date.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

how can u call my girl dull lol
shes very tame and docile, a little plain but when the light hits them a rainbow of colours, irredescent.

hard to keep her temps and humidity but worth it, shes 6 now and a lovely lady, shes very temperamental with feeding though, goes off her food all the time, takes weeks to get her to feed still a big healthy gal though so not too big a worry, she does eat a load when she wants too, great girl for handling

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
id have to go with CRB..you can't beat rainbows as pet snakes :D

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
We have a baby common boa, and she's already had a strike at me lol.

Think she'll be a top feeder. I'd be scared to own the trully giant snakes, and i'm guessing this will be the biggest i'll ever be able to keep.. royal's grow fairly large, but i wanted something a little more impressive size wise. I think as long as she stays below 10ft i'll be happy enough :D

I was told anything above 10ft can be dangerous :?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I am lucky enough to own a Brazillian Rainbow Boa, Columbian Rainbow Boa and a BCI. If i was told i could only keep one i dont think i could choose! I think its down to your own individual preference, if you get a youngster and handle it regularly then any of them should settle down. My BCI has a mass fassination with peoples faces which for strangers can seem a litle scary but he has never struck, he just likes to get close to your face, my BRB is a little sweetie, i got her from snakes n adders in Leeds and she has just the most fantastic colouring. My columbian I got from a local pet shop and the guy just had him in a plain viv with just the smallest of water bowls, no hides or humidity control (apparently according to him if you dont put a hide in it will make them toughen up :evil: ) so i instantly paid for him and asked him to keep him for me for a week, then i had to quickly buy the full set up. As he is quite huge i have had trouble in his viv keeping up the humidity but i bought a fogger machine and have that running for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening and he absolutely loves it. He seems to dance in and out of the fog hahahaha. Oops sorry i just realised i have gone on for an awful long time......sorry......but basically, the choice is yours

1 - 13 of 13 Posts