Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
ive just installed a large heat mat and bulb holder in my 55"(183cm x 69cm x 58cm ) viv.

i have the 100w reflector bulb angled, as at first it was very hot underneath the lamp dangling from the roof;
i have now angled the bulb at 45 degrees ish attached at the top end of the tank and now the ambient temps are 88 hot end and 77 ish cold end; but underneath on a basking rock the temp according to thermometer is 120f+ and not 110as is 'normal?', if i move the bulb so it is more angled then i lose a basking "spot", and using a thermostat could decrease the ambient temps :?

i have tried moving the basking rock (a small square rock with a rounded style slab on top) but the sand underneath the bulb still reaches this temp!

is this ok to leave as it is? ambient temps are fine (could even do with being a little hotter) but the basking spot seems too hot.

cheers :)

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
120f for an adult BD is a bit much and is the top end for babies. Sounds to me like you need a dimmer stat on the bulb to regulate the temp down to 110f

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
If it's just the basking spot - you could maybe get another rock or whatever that isn't so high up and close to the bulb - especially as the ambients are OK.

·
Registered
849 Posts
First thing: You should not really have a heat mat in a BDs enclosure. They can not feel heat from their stomach and get no use from it, the only heat they can use is from above. Secondly, what are you measuring temps with? If its not a digital thermometer with a probe, you can't know for sure that the basking spot is 120. Stick on thermometers only measure the air temperature and not the surface temp.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the reptile shop advised a heat mat; it merely heats the viv to gain the appropriate ambient temps and keeps some heat in the viv at night

i have a digital probe thermometer on order; so will investigate the "true" temp when it arrives; i had a circular zoomed thermometer on the basking rock to measure the temps.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Hi.
Firstly, heat mats are virtually essential for backround heat, especially in the winter so theres no harm whatso ever in that, having said that best to put it on the back wall, not the floor.

As for the light, im suprised your only gettin 77 cool end but I understand its pretty cold at the mo so if your room temp is a bit on the low side... just be careful cos you dont want the temp to drop much lower than 69 degrees even at night.

With a 100 watt reflector at one end angled directly down with 8 inches from bulb face to surface of rock or log you should have something between 109-120 depending on the heat from the rest of the heat, as yours is quite low id assume your getting over high readings from the round anologue thermometer.

Best thing to do is just have a secondry basking site joing to thwe 1st so itll cool down and say if it was 120 in the hottest point yourd then have some 115 down to 110 ober the next 12 inches or so [angle downwars sloped for even better variation.
Your beardie wont have to bask directly under if he doesnt want to... not that 120 is too high anyway.

So basically, if theres 8 inches between the face of the bulb and surface of the rock or log you should be fine, but add onto the bask goin away from the bulb to give more variation on the basking site for best results and safety.

If your heatmat is mainly on the warm end, centralise it a bit so the cool end stays a little warmer and the right at the hot end can rely on jkust the bulb, thisl drop the bask a degree or 2.

Also remember a rock hearts up and holds heat a lot more thna wood for instance so you should keep an eye on the rock surface as they get hot, sometimes too hot to comfortably touch, which is ofcourse too hot for the beardie.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts