Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been reading up, and the net has alot of differnt opinions, and my books even conflict on some aspects.

what temp is best? (i have seen people saying mid 70's-and 88 was the highest[i thought 88 would kill the eggs])

do i candle all of the eggs, to ensure that i (rotate) them so the embreo is on top, or do i never turn them, just place the same way up as they were layed(i would assume the latter)

do people genrally use a laying box, or a pile of substarate. do you use sand or vermiculite(for laying) what do your BD's think of this method. what is the easyest or favorite(on them)?

mist lightly, or drip next to

do i use distilled water (my common sence says, distilled would be no good because of the no nutriants, but tap water would contain chlorine, lime and other nastys) should i use spring water.

when should i dispose of "dodgy" eggs. (when they remain dimpled for a week, when they turn yellow, whe they grow mould. if they colapse a few opinions from the net)

and final questions, about the BDs

do people genrally keep them together (pair/group) or seperate, and introduced for breeding.

do i need to burmate (some say yes some say no some think you get more eggs with one, and some the opposite)

how soon can i get another clutch of eggs, sucsessfully, without endangering my BD's or making them ill (again somepeople say 6 clutches a year wiht supplementation, and some only 1)

and a husbandry question
how do you evpose your BD to UV light. i am taken with the spot bulbs atm, but they are expencive. i have a 2' high viv. does anyone use the powersun style bulbs. are they any good? or can i pute a UV tube in the corners, at the back, vertically, so they can get within 2 inch of the tube.

thanks in advance.
Dan

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
darkdan99 said:
i have been reading up, and the net has alot of differnt opinions, and my books even conflict on some aspects.

what temp is best? (i have seen people saying mid 70's-and 88 was the highest[i thought 88 would kill the eggs])
Incubate between 82-84f... Lower temps mean they take longer. Higher temps will cook the egg. At this temp they should take 65ish days

do i candle all of the eggs, to ensure that i (rotate) them so the embreo is on top, or do i never turn them, just place the same way up as they were layed(i would assume the latter)
Candle at the beginning so you can see which are fertilised i.e they'll have red viens. Don't candle in latter stages as they will wriggle and rip the yoak sacks! Never rotate the eggs!

do people genrally use a laying box, or a pile of substarate. do you use sand or vermiculite(for laying) what do your BD's think of this method. what is the easyest or favorite(on them)?
Mine dragons are on sand. I pile up a massive corner for them to dig in. Spray the sand and it will stay together (good for laying) and also privide the eggs with moisture.

mist lightly, or drip next to

do i use distilled water (my common sence says, distilled would be no good because of the no nutriants, but tap water would contain chlorine, lime and other nastys) should i use spring water.
Normal tap water is fine..

when should i dispose of "dodgy" eggs. (when they remain dimpled for a week, when they turn yellow, whe they grow mould. if they colapse a few opinions from the net)
Move the bad eggs into a separate carton/crix tub or something so they do not have an effect on the good ones. If they are completely collapsed, green or mouldy. Remove them straight away. To make sure I always freeze my eggs for 24 hrs as well....

and final questions, about the BDs

do people genrally keep them together (pair/group) or seperate, and introduced for breeding.
Keep 3 females in a 4.5*2*2 and my male is in a 3*2*2

do i need to burmate (some say yes some say no some think you get more eggs with one, and some the opposite)
No! Trust me :wink:

how soon can i get another clutch of eggs, sucsessfully, without endangering my BD's or making them ill (again somepeople say 6 clutches a year wiht supplementation, and some only 1)
Dragons can lay multiple clutches after one mating session anyway. Females can keep sperm to use later! What the fun in that hey!?

and a husbandry question
how do you evpose your BD to UV light. i am taken with the spot bulbs atm, but they are expencive. i have a 2' high viv. does anyone use the powersun style bulbs. are they any good? or can i pute a UV tube in the corners, at the back, vertically, so they can get within 2 inch of the tube.
I've got a ceramic heater for heat (naturally). Then a 4ft UVA/UVB bulb along the top of the viv. They dragons can all reach and sit in places so they are no more than a foot away from the bulb!

Not used the powersuns etc so can't comment

:wink:

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Well Said GAZ!

Only thing i would do is maybe use food saver tubs with a couple of holes in the lid rather than cricket tubs as i find that they have too much ventilation and the vermiculite drys out quickly were as food saver tubs keep it nicely humid & warm inside.

Don't get anything fancy, i use the tesco Value food tubs. or ask the fish counter for plastic tubs! there have loads and wont cost a penny.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, i was wondering who would answer first, i knew that welshgaz probably would, and i thought that becky would too, and you both did, thanks for the advice, sorry, i asked so much aswell, better ask once, then to ask 20 differnt threads :D

thanks again
Dan :oops:

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Thats what the forums for mate, Were always happy to help eachother out. I have my eggs incubated 82-83 and it normally takes about 62-65 days for the first egg to hatch and then a few will hatch eachday for upto 7 days.

One thing i noticed! might be handy for other breeders!

I had about 20 eggs in a food saver tub and 7 eggs in a cricket tub cos i ran out of room! lol.

Both in the same incubator and at the same temp. The 20 eggs in the food saver tub all hatched out quickly once it hit the 65 day mark. The 7 in the crix tub was not showing any signs of hatching and i was quite worried, Eventually they started to hatch. But one week later after the last baby from the food saver tub had hatched.

Also, the eggs in the crix tub were drying out a lot, twice i had a few collapsed and i had to quickly re-hydrate them and hope they were o.k.

If your gonna use crix tubs then i would sellotape the sides up to prevent humidity escaping.

·
Registered
221 Posts
lol cheers for this Dan ya managed ask everything i could possibly need to know!
Goin start building incubator asap
Only question i got thou out of this is with the food tub's how many holes ya pearcing for ventilation ?
Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts