Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've seen a few breeding BD set ups (vivs) that use newspaper or tissue as substrate and have an egg laying box for the female. what i want to know is minimum size of the box, a suggestion of what to use as the box, temperatures and substrate to use. also if you use natural surroundings does the female lay happily in the sand substrate within the vivarium???
all help and comments gladly taken in. :D

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Hi there

I dont breed beardies, but a mate does

What he does is this....

Waits until he see's the female starting to dig around, then puts her in a box or tub, 3/4 full with peat (microwaves and cooled) and leaves her with the lid closed untill she has laid

Beardies like to dig deep to lay so most 'lay boxes' or normal substrate is not deep enough.

He uses like a large plastic tub which is about twice the size of the animal, so pretty cramped, but makes her feel secure, and places it back in the viv, but as long as you can keep the heat up, it can be left outside.

Once she looks like she has laid, you need to shift the peat to find the eggs, so take care not to damage them. then incubate as normal, but I not sure of the temps, maybe someone else knows, or I can ask next time I see him.

Hope this helps

Tony

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
we always put the egg laying box, which is basically a big plastic tub filled with peat, cant remember the proper name for it, ie it has a name like irish or something but its a nice soft peat with no bits in...., in the cooler end but that can change where ever shes digging the most is where the box goes, we always warm up the peat just slightly so that its not too cold, cover the entrance with ivy or some foliage and keep an eye on her, as for the temps like i said it all depends on where shes digging, then when they are hatched, carefully remove them, dont forget DONT ROLL THEM, place in incubator, 85 degrees, on either vermiculite or perlite possibly with some sphagnum moss, wait 60 days, remove, hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts