Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do beardy's do it? I accidently startled mine the other day and he wipped his tail towards me! Not sure if he did it by mistake or whether they actually do this? He's not the aggressive type tbh, he never shows his beard etc

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
yeh they do.
not a lot...and not to the same extent or with the same effort as an iggy or a monitor but they do do it.

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
Wow! I didnt know that! :D

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahh right cool. Like i said he never really shows any agression and this was my fault but i was stunned. Wiped his tail with his mouth open a touch...lol

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
you know if you like pick them up...sometimes they twirl there tail round [if they dont wana be picked up for instance]
it may be trying to gain balance but i thik its mini whipping.

obviously when 2 beardies square up to each other the tail jolting [wiggling] isnt the same as its a bluff, threat..and its excitment when they do it wen hunting so not the same.

And then on the rare occasion i have ad when a female beardie was really spooked, displaying, puffing and generally saying "bugger off" when approached it was an open mouth and a small whip in my direction [fine after 5 minutes]
so I do believe it fits into what was asked.
Happy to admit if i have missread the motions though.
look forward to hearing if anyone else has or has not ever witnessed anything they would call a tail whip though.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah I've seen it on occassion but it really is a feeble attempt. Lucas can be a bit grumpy at times he never bites or anything but he did flare himself up and gaped his mouth once when I followed him into the kitchen and went to pick him up when he was in a corner.

I've heard it said a few times that males can be a bit grumpy.

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
My beardie is the grumpiest lizard i've ever met! He hates me lol. It's fun trying to get him out of his viv. But he's never tail whipped me. threatened me with a false strike. And also threatened me with a lick on my finger.. But never tailwhipped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts