Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How big roughly are these? Thinking about getting some for my slings instead of pre killed crics.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
bout 2.5mm?

I find they are too tough for really tiny slings, like my C. elegans slings which are barely the size of a bean weevil!

Fine for about 1cm+ though :)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are they pretty easy to catch? And getting them back out again if not eaten?

I had pin heads for a while and couldn't see a bloody thing so moved on to bigger crics and pre killing.

·
Registered
888 Posts
They're good for half a cm sling upwards, easy to get out, dont jump or anyhing, they glide in the air with wings a little, they dont perticulaly fly though.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Yeah really easy to catch, they always head up!
Once your culture gets established you'll probably need to fridge them. They really do have population explosions, and you'll have MILLIONS of beanies all climbing up the sides at the same time!

And with regards to the flying, mine don't just glide they FLY! I've had a few go zooming out the tub as soon as its been opened.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Yeah really easy to catch, they always head up!
Once your culture gets established you'll probably need to fridge them. They really do have population explosions, and you'll have MILLIONS of beanies all climbing up the sides at the same time!
And they can fly!
Pfft they dont fly! They try n fail, they just glide.
Aye, i have to tap the top of the tub so they all go to the bottom n wait 5 secs till one climbs up the side, or i get them everywhere ifi just open up the top!

·
Registered
888 Posts
they can fly! I found one walking up the wall once, in a different room to the one where i keep them.
I've seen them on my wall, but they can climb!
I've never seen any of mine fly..
Hmm, guess i'll have to be more observant. :lol2:

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Pfft they dont fly! They try n fail, they just glide.
Aye, i have to tap the top of the tub so they all go to the bottom n wait 5 secs till one climbs up the side, or i get them everywhere ifi just open up the top!
they definitely do fly!
I have a fairly large culture living in a cadbury tub, and I see them flying around in there all the time.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Well if they so hard to catch once you have a huge culture - do the same what you can do with flies. Before the culture is going, put a hole in the tub, glue in a straw, block the straw and when you need some just "tap" some into the spid. enclosure ..

·
Registered
20,002 Posts
never seen any buzz around like a fly but they can fly, or jump using there wings but dont think they can fly like a wasp. Have a ton of them crawlin around my room lol.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
They won't hide in the straw though, they're usually under the beans.
Straw is just as "funnel" - if you glue it in the lid so the end is almost even with the lid (like the big ones from Mc-D), simply turn the thing up side down and shake it like salt :)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One more question, how many do you guys offer your slings at one feeding?

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
If it's a tiny sling , just the one if the tubs small . May chuck a second one in if the sling might have trouble finding it .

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If it's a tiny sling , just the one if the tubs small . May chuck a second one in if the sling might have trouble finding it .

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
The benefit of bean weavils is once they are adult they don't eat anything. Their sole purpose is to reproduce. Some people have suggested tiny pieces of meat to improve the size of the colony but so far I haven't found this necessary.
So, you can happily pour a few in without having to worry about the usual concerns of uneaten food. Perfect for when you're going away on hols.
They can fly, but don't often do so, they do play dead and will reproduce faster/slower depending on which kind of beans you provide.

·
Registered
888 Posts
My colony somehow got moist, was condensation on the inside of the tub.
so i moved into a cric tub, and seems to be a few more lively, cuz they all looked dead, but seems alot have gone.. :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts