Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
My bearded dragons always try and climb there background so i was thinking about getting fake rock wall ?? Whats everyones views on this, Also i want some ideas of decor etc to put in my vivariums as i have 3 beardys and want to make my set ups as good as possible, thanks alot, Leave ideas!! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Beardie vivs

I think that would be a good idea since as it would not confuse the animal.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeh bin debating it a while just dont trust myself to do it, and if someone else does it, the cost goes sky high haha so i dunno ....

·
Registered
482 Posts
Do it!! I done a fack rock build for my beardie a few months back and he lives it. Its nothing fancy just back and sides (Polly attacked with a wire brush then grouted) But it looks better and he is always climbing/hanging off it

Found a pic before it was finished but gives you an idea

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Niceone martin, how much did it cost you to do that??? Looks good, and alot more practical than my beardys scratching all there old backgrounds off because they think they can climb it.... hahaha

·
Registered
482 Posts
The poly was packaging- free
Bag of grout- about 10 quid from B&Q
PVA- About a fiver (still got loads of this left)
I use playsand as substrate so have loads of that

Probably about £20 all in and a couple of hours in total spread out over a few days to let grout dry between coats. The viv is 4.5x3x2

This viv is the lower part of this work in progress.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hey!

Making your own background is very, very easy actually but it just takes some time due to doing stuff in layers (such as grout, varnishing etc) and waiting for them to dry before moving on.

I would recommend it so much because you will always have your own unique background and will be able to be fully proud of your setup (I know I was lol)
Getting ideas is pretty easy too if you don't already have your own, you should go onto the habitat forum on this site, there are many tutorials and step-by-steps of other peoples work on there.

I did a step-by-step of my first project i've ever done also (background) so feel free to take a look and get inspired for some creativity.
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/habitat/714930-first-time-diy-background-pic.html

Also would recommend looking at the posts there by "Ch4dg" - very talented at DIY projects in his vivariums. It's what inspired me to do my own! : victory:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thankyou will deffinately be attempting to make my own fake rock wall, feadern love it!, deffinately made me want to do my own, how much did it roughly cost you, and i wouldnt know what to use though.... I know you need grout and sealent or sumut but what sort etc etc :) ??

·
Registered
140 Posts
bark

we considered getting a so called rock wall, but we bought some bark instead, and spike tends to climb the bark then up the fake greenery. He will sit there for ages as if stalking and intending to ambush his prey.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts