Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I bought my son bearded dragon as four years ago I had to sell mine which my son help me look after I bought this for my local reptile shop we've had him for a week. We was told he is three months old The problem we got with him Everytime we open the Viv to put fresh food in and spot clean he runs towards the door he attack both off us. Bites us Archees he's back i've never had this before with bearded dragons any help would be gratefully appreciated as it's getting to the point my 14 year old son will end up not wanting him

With thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hes maybe still settling into his new home still so maybe he feels a bit scared or curious when taking his food bowls out maybe slowing the way you do it maybe he feels threatend and if he reacts best way to go is just ignore him and carry on with what your doibg then he might realise your not afraid of him.

My beardies nearly 5 now he bit me once was an accident though because I was giving him his medication and after all the bites not to sore just like hard gums.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
He's definitely going after you as apposed to food? I would really try to leave him be as much as possible and take baby steps. Once he's settled then just sit near to the viv (with it closed) so he can get used to you, have your hands visible. Then begin to put your hand in the viv (not towards him) just so he can get used to you in the viv and your scent. Once he's used to that then you can start moving closer, maybe try and entice him with his favourite treats (not too often), a gentle rub under his chin. Like I say baby steps. If he does go for you I'd be tempted to keep still (easier said than done I know), it won't hurt and hopefully he'll get used to the fact that going for you doesn't result in you backing down. You need to tread a fine line though between not backing down and making it worse. I have had a similar experience (however not as extreme) and when she would show defensive behaviour (such as mouth gaping) I wouldn't panic and retreat but just hold back for a second until she calms, then give her a quick smooth under the chin and then retreat on my own terms. In time she's improved, still skittish but very rarely aggressive/defensive.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only I don't mind little steps but my son is getting very upset with him as everytime he attacks everything and anything and that's with just putting my hand in there

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Some are like this, it may take time. I would advise explaining to your boy that it is a scared little animal and that it isn't going to change over night and that a hands off approach will be necessary for a while.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts