Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I have recently moved my juvenile bearded dragon into a new and bigger enclosure. It's a glass aquarium i made myself 90cmx45x45. His temps are spot on, he has a new uvb fluorescent tube. I noticed that since i moved him in his new enclosure his colours are more dull, they are not light they were in his previous enclosure. Could it be because he is stressed out from changing enclosures or could it be something else?

Regards,
Paul Elpidorou

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
It is very possible that the rehoming has caused a little stress, it often does with beardies.

I would mention however i am surprised you have him in a glass viv, the way the viv acts and also how open the vivs are makes glass vivs unsuitable for beardies.

It will not hold heat anything like as good as a wooden viv would and beardies are far happier with walls they can see rather than invisable barriers, also being open on all sides can often make them feel vunerable (they are predated on in the wild hence why they are quite fond of cover and being able to burrow).

You will find the glass viv more expensive to maintain proper temps in and its also worth noting a 90cm by 45 cm by 45cm viv is really quite small for this species.

It might be OK for a young juvenile but will be too small by the time its anywhere near a year old, personally i would say it would be outgrown by the time it was 6 months old.

The minimum size is 4ft long by 2ft deep by 2ft high, and minimum means minimum. They are an active species and need space to move around, making floor space important as well as length of viv to allow a proper thermal gradient, height is also beneficial as it will aid with the lighting setup and allow the animal to have things it can climb on, another thing they are fond of.

It seems pointless to buy a viv every three months as the animal grows from a baby to an adult and its very unfair to home an adult in such a small enclosure.

Buy right, buy once....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes i know that glass vivs aren't ideal for beardies. My previous beardie was in there and because he outgrew that i made him a larger melamine enclouse and i put the juvenile one in the glass viv temporary. i will be making him a new one soon as i am aware that they grow fast :).

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Greetings,
His temps are spot on

What are the actual temps, how are you measuring them and what are you using in the viv as basking area material/platform.

You should have something like natural stone (Slate is ideal, cheap, reacts well with heat and isnt a polished smooth surface) as a baskin area surface/platform. The temps here is a surface temp and requires measuring with something like a IR Temp gun, thermometers wont do the job. 110F to 115F approx (about 42C to 45C).

Cool end should have an ambient temp of around 75F to 80F (24C to 26C). the rest should sort itself, although with a shorter viv and being made out of glass the thermal gradient is probably not going to establish as well as it would in a wooden viv and wont have the same range as you would with a longer viv.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Yes i know that glass vivs aren't ideal for beardies. My previous beardie was in there and because he outgrew that i made him a larger melamine enclouse and i put the juvenile one in the glass viv temporary. i will be making him a new one soon as i am aware that they grow fast :).
Ah ok.

As mentioned above, its very possible that its the relocation thats making the beardie feel a bit stressed/grumpy.

They really do struggle with change.

Its also possible temps are an issue, and so checking out the exact range of temps you have in there so double check your control points (basking spot and cool end).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use a IR temp gun to measure all my temps. For the basking spot i have a cave where he can climb up and bask and at night time he likes to hide in the cave and sleep. Basking temps are around 105-110 and the cooler side is around 75-80 as you wrote in the post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.