Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have my male bearded dragon in a 4ft x 1.8ft x 18.ft and he's around 9 months old, In the near future I will be transfering him to a 6ft x 2ft x 3ft vivarium.

Now I read alot that they are solitary etc but my question still lies:

- Is it ok to add a female beared dragon around the same size and age to the same 6ft vivarium with my male.

Thank you.

·
Registered
875 Posts
i personaly wouldnt house a male n female together at all times , girls are like women they need a break n dont wanna be constantly shagged the arse off..... our terms kinda thing lol

seriously on a permanent basis the female will get stressed out !!:gasp:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hey guys,

I have my male bearded dragon in a 4ft x 1.8ft x 18.ft and he's around 9 months old, In the near future I will be transfering him to a 6ft x 2ft x 3ft vivarium.

- Is it ok to add a female beared dragon around the same size and age to the same 6ft vivarium with my male.

Thank you.

Hey,

Only if you are going to be breeding them and they are both mature enough to be bred. However you will still want another enclosure to move the female to , to stop over-breeding and stressing her out to the point where she could pop her clogs.

Beardies kept together are generally best female with female.

·
Registered
875 Posts
:2thumb:
Hey,

Only if you are going to be breeding them and they are both mature enough to be bred. However you will still want another enclosure to move the female to , to stop over-breeding and stressing her out to the point where she could pop her clogs.

Beardies kept together are generally best female with female.

you put it in such a better way than i did lol

·
Registered
973 Posts
i have the same concerns with my male beardie - the person we rehomed him off had a female living with him and she was soooo stressed out living with him, continually laying eggs etc...he simply cannot be trusted with another women again - but i do worry he gets lonely.

it isnt worth the risk unless you can house them seperately if it doesnt work.

on a side note the female i had passed to me is fine now and lives with beardedlady on here and some lady dragons!

i simply have 2 accept gandalf lives alone and he has to deal with that!

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Or you could try 1 male with several females it works well if your viv is big enough

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for fast repsonse guys,

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or you could try 1 male with several females it works well if your viv is big enough
Is a 6ft x 3ft x 3ft big enough for that?

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
I wouldn't have said so - even with several females, you can still get problems with bullying, intimidation, injuries to the females, forced overproduction of eggs etc. It will be a lot less stressful for you, your male, and the future female if you housed them separately : victory:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hey guys,

Thank you.
Only if you want to breed them but its not advised to house them together permanently because the female will get so stressed out bless her with the male continuously bugging her for sex lol.

If you want to house beardies together you can only do it female with female (my opinion anyways).

Mike

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
I would say so as long as the females are big enough to look after them selves and the male isnt to rough. My ones live together in a viv about that size and there is no problems at all some times they will do a bit of head bobbing and give each other a little nip but it never breaks the skin or leaves a mark. It also helps to have 2 basking lights if you have a few beardies in there so if they want they can bask some where else also as always a place to cool down behind a big rock or some thing.
Dont do this if your beardie is the sort that bites chunks out of the females and runs them round the cage these need to be kept on there own.
Hope this helps as they are very social animals and they do enjoy the company of others

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok guys thank you very much

1 - 12 of 12 Posts