Reptile Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya people yesterday afternoon one of my beardies died i think from terminal ingestion. We kept it alive for a few hours but eventully it gave up on us :(

anyway he/she was in with anuther he/she and now one has died will the other be lonly?? Should i get him/her a new friend. There only yung i think about 7 months. So Anyway help would be great :)

bye

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss hun. If you kept them together then you could try to bring another into the equation. I would wait for a little while first though because the sudden loss of a viv-mate is hard to realise.

An example in non-reptile nimals, we had our dog his whole life, and our cat was brought into the house when the dog was here, and they lived together with us for the best part of 16 years, then the dog died and for months later the cat was still searching for the dog. It's the same, regardless of how long they've been in together. If you give the remaining beardie time to understand what has happened, and remember to give it lots of attention and love, then if you still want to give company remember the quarantine the new animal in a viv of their own first.

A new animal can bring in other diseases and you'll also want to see for yourself that they're eating/drinking/pooping/shedding properly before putting them in with your other one. Then when you're sure both animals are healthy and happy you can introduce them in a neautral space - for example the settee, a bed, windowsill, anywhere other than the vivs they occupy. This is to reduce territorial confrontations.

I hope this helps you :)

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kimmi

This Helpled alot, we have decided not to get flash a friend because we have no room to quarenteen a new one. Sorry fro your loss with the dog and the cat.

anyway thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
sorry for your loss
whats "terminal ingestion"?
is it like impaction?

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
sorry 4 your loss :(

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes Termianal Ingestion is like impaction except its almost inpossible to keep your pet alive because the food is stuck in the digestive system, Not the throat. The local pet shop also said that it could have been a virul problem. he said that somtimes the cri ckets run through the beardies fecies and beardies then eat the crickets causing a virul/bacterial problem. I Clean out My beardied crap everytime they have number 2 lol so i dont think that was it.

When beardied get terminal ingestion they stop breathing and every three minutes or so they take a big breath of air, eventully the beardie gives up and dies unfortuantly.

anyway thanks for all your support :)

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are on playsand but we handfeed most of the time so i dont think he ate any of it. Could be but never saw him do it before soooo a suno lol.

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Well I would take the sand out now. Use tiles or lino. My beardies tend to taste things even if there is no food around so it could be that he did get a few mouthfuls.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok ill think about taking the sand out but thats my faverouite substrate because it looks so realistic. But if its for my other beardies health i think im going to loose the sand untill hes older.

thank for all info people. any tips u wanna gi me u can :)

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Well, in the wild beardies dont live on sand. They live on hard compacted dirt with a tiny dusting of sand over the top. So sand isnt natural for them :) Tiles arent either obviously lol but its far closer to hard compacted mud than a few inches of sand are.
You can use ceramic floor tiles, vinyl tiles or lino. I got 11 vinyl tiles for £7 in Wickes.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanx for all your help people. Is 95 degree celcius too much for the basking spot ????

just wondering

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
thanx for all your help people. Is 95 degree celcius too much for the basking spot ????

just wondering
Yeah just a bit
It should be 110F(43c)-120F(49c) basking spot with a 80F-90F(27c-32c) warm and cool end.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts