Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently (about a month ago) rescued a pair of bearded dragons. The male has been fine (if a bit a grumpy sod) and has been happily re-homed. I still have the female awaiting a new viv with her new owner, I am not sure if these two lived together before as the previous owner was not very forthcoming with any information at all about them.

the problem is with the female, I was told she was 18 months old. She is currently alone in a 4x2x2 viv with a play sand substrate. She has a waterfall feature, which she uses on a daily basis for defecating and drinking from ( I do change the water as soon as she has passed) she has never drunk from soiled water always drinks first then poops.

Current diet is probably higher in inverts than it should be, she did have a short time with a few stray standard black crickets that i could not catch and remove. She gets silent browns now and 4th hopper locusts, along with Kale, Carrot, squash, pepper and pear, as a "staple diet" as i was hoping to have got her moved out by now.

She is shedding at the moment and is almost done with that, there is some eye bulging and i understand this is normal for beardies to do during shed, but her eyes are a little bloodshot and she always seems to look backwards, she can barely open them and they do get a little stuck together first thing in the morning. I have been bathing her eyes with warm water for the last couple of days (saline solution is on the way so that this can be bathed properly. she is a little lethargic, but this may be due to the 100W ceramic i have had to put in to replace the Namibia Terra Sun Basking Spot lamp 150Watt that i got for her when she first came to me. (it never had any affect on the male) She now has as i said the 100W ceramic ultra slim heat bulb, its about 10 inches away form basking spot, and she has an Exo terra Repti Glo 5.0 24" UVB strip bulb in the middle of the tank at the top and a standard candle bulb 60Watt on the other side of the tank to the basking area (above her paddling Pool)

This has only been in place for a couple of days and i have not noticed any improvement in here eyes. I have put some pictures on of her tank and her eyes as well as full body pics in case they can help anyone figure out how i can help her.

Could this all be due to the bulb she had in there to begin with as i said she only had this on for about 3 weeks for 12 hours a day, the heat/UVB went off at night but was on all the time during the day.

Temperature at basking spot is 41 centrigrade (thats about 105F isnt it :p) and humidity is around 30% most of the time.

I am just worried there is some underlying issue from previous ownership that has reared its head or could it be a lighting issue or some sand in her eyes i just want her healthy as soon as possible, any more info needed to help me out please let me know and i will sort it for you.

Pictures to follow.

Thanks Harry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could this be pregnancy related, i have noticed a more teardrop shape, she has gone off her food and does seem to have put on a little weight, i have a tuppaware box with damp top soil in totally uncovered which i have put in the viv next to the heat lamp, please help me out with getting her better, any ideas anybody with some experience in beardies?

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
does that mean she is very ill or just it's unclear what the problem is
From the photo's it looks like your dragon has an eye infection.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for that, it's good to at least have some idea what it might be, off to the vets we go, any ideas what i can do in the meantime to make it easier for her?

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
what i can do in the meantime to make it easier for her?
Without knowing the cause it would be hard for me to say what would help her.

Just get to the vet soon as possible so they can have a close look at the eye and advise on the best way to treat it.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
You also need to sort out your setup post vet care. Gradients are all wrong and uv is extremely under powered for this species.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She is now on a repti glo 10.0 20W UVB strip. Is this any better for her as i can get upgrades for it if needs be. What kind of problem do i have with the gradients? don;t want to sound stupid or confrontational, just want to get everything right for her.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts