Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. My bearded dragon is 256g and is about 4 years old but doesn’t seem to like to eat regularly. Is he healthy and happy?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Doesn't look it. Very small for its age as well, and has a kinked tail.

Enclosure pic?
Temperatures?
Age, wattage and type of UV bulb?

Then can advise

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He has a kink in his tail from being a baby as he had a calcium deficiency before I bought him. I try to feed him every day but he only accepts it every couple of days and then he will eat both his worms and insects and his vegetables. He is 4 and a half years old, his temperature is 26 degrees Celsius, the bulb is a 900mm UV bulb with a wattage of 30. Advice please, thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He has a kink in his tail from being a baby as he had a calcium deficiency before I bought him. I try to feed him every day but he only accepts it every couple of days and then he will eat both his worms and insects and his vegetables. He is 4 and a half years old, his temperature is 26 degrees Celsius, the bulb is a 900mm UV bulb with a wattage of 30. Advice please, thanks
Plant Wood Houseplant Rectangle Ingredient

·
Registered
988 Posts
He is far far too cold. Needs a hot spot of 40c

What is the age, brand and strength (they are usually labelled with 10% or something similar, sometimes a percentage) of the UVB bulb?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Hi, how are you measuring the ambient (air) and basking SURFACE temps plus the humidity range, and what are those figures?
If the large object on the right is supposed to be a hide it`s far too big, they like to squeeze in to quite small spaces (it looks like it might also be the basking site, and it`s fine for that propose).
Can you show the actual basking bulb and UVB bulb/tube?
You basically only need to know two temps during the day; the lowest ambient (air) @ approx. 21 to 24c, then the surface temp on the basking object @ between approx 40 to 45c...
Nighttime, no lower than approx 19c (unless the dragon is brumating).
The humidity needs to range between approx. 30 to 60% or so, the lower figure would be around the basking site, the higher in the hides/burrows (cooler parts)...

·
Super Moderator
9,657 Posts
As already said he does not look well and is small for his age. Of course his previous care may have stunted his growth. But your temps are way too low and that will affect appetite.Your basking spot needs to be around 43c.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thank you all so much. I’m increasing the temperature gradually and am hoping for a fast recovery, I’ll take him to a vet if needs be and he is not improving over the next week or so. The UV bulb is 10% also.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Ok thank you all so much. I’m increasing the temperature gradually and am hoping for a fast recovery, I’ll take him to a vet if needs be and he is not improving over the next week or so. The UV bulb is 10% also.
Can you answer about the temps and humidity, without knowing exactly what those are and how you measure them, no vet or medication can help the dragon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
H
Can you answer about the temps and humidity, without knowing exactly what those are and how you measure them, no vet or medication can help the dragon.
ok thank you. I have thermometers at either end of his vivarium. One reads 28.2 and the other is 25.3 degrees Celsius.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As already said he does not look well and is small for his age. Of course his previous care may have stunted his growth. But your temps are way too low and that will affect appetite.Your basking spot needs to be around 43c.
Thank you so much. That’s very useful, I’ve turned up the temperature

·
Super Moderator
9,657 Posts
You should see a good increase in his appetite once the temperatures are correct. If not then there could be something else wrong with him in which case he needs to see a vet.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
H

ok thank you. I have thermometers at either end of his vivarium. One reads 28.2 and the other is 25.3 degrees Celsius.
You need to show (photo the gauges) or just say what type of thermometers/hygrometers you`re using (digital or analogue?) also, what the basking surface temp is and how you measure that?
You haven`t said what the humidity range is either, can you do that.
There is more to this than just "raising the temps", meaning the ambient (air) temps may be ok but the surface temp at the basking sight is (in your case) too low, the basking surface is where the dragon adjusts it`s core body temps to the most suitable range in order to function efficiently, and if it cannot do that it`s health will suffer, perhaps seriously. It`s urgent you give the details I`ve asked, the lizard`s life may well depend on this. This might be a very easy "fix" once you answer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You need to show (photo the gauges) or just say what type of thermometers/hygrometers you`re using (digital or analogue?) also, what the basking surface temp is and how you measure that?
You haven`t said what the humidity range is either, can you do that.
There is more to this than just "raising the temps", meaning the ambient (air) temps may be ok but the surface temp at the basking sight is (in your case) too low, the basking surface is where the dragon adjusts it`s core body temps to the most suitable range in order to function efficiently, and if it cannot do that it`s health will suffer, perhaps seriously. It`s urgent you give the details I`ve asked, the lizard`s life may well depend on this. This might be a very easy "fix" once you answer.
I understand that and am seeking other help than just this forum to keep him healthy but may I ask how you measure the humidity range and what the basking the basking temps would look like as I know I have every thermometer and measuring I need as I researched h the is all before I got him but I’m unclear as what each are called. Sorry but thank you I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I understand that and am seeking other help than just this forum to keep him healthy but may I ask how you measure the humidity range and what the basking the basking temps would look like as I know I have every thermometer and measuring I need as I researched h the is all before I got him but I’m unclear as what each are called. Sorry but thank you I appreciate it.

There`s a mountain of misinformation "out there" sometimes (often!) it`s hard to know good from bad advise, I can promise you there are enough experienced and knowledgeable members here to help you take the best care of the dragon. As I said this is quite likely to be an "east fix" but it`s absolutely urgent that you act on the suggestions...
I`ll put a couple of links up to show what you need, they are not expensive but work very well..
Because you still haven`t said what type your gauges are I`ll link to the most reliable (they may be the same as you already have so no need to change)...
This is a digital hygrometer, it measures both the humidity and the ambient (air) temp....
The second link shows an infrared "Temp-gun", with that you just point it towards the basking object and it will read the surface temp (but not the air) which is why you need both types.
You only need to know two temps during the daytime; the lowest ambient (air) @ approx. 21 to 24c (that will be in the cooler parts), then the SURFACE temp on the basking object where the dragon basks to heat up which needs to be between approx. 40 to 45c.
The humidity should range between approx. 30 to 60% or so, the lower figure will be around the basking area (heat bulb) the higher in the cooler parts. Do not listen to people who tell you the humidity must be kept very low at all times, that is incorrect and can lead to health problems such as failure to shed the skin completely.
If there`s anything you don`t quite understand, just ask!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There`s a mountain of misinformation "out there" sometimes (often!) it`s hard to know good from bad advise, I can promise you there are enough experienced and knowledgeable members here to help you take the best care of the dragon. As I said this is quite likely to be an "east fix" but it`s absolutely urgent that you act on the suggestions...
I`ll put a couple of links up to show what you need, they are not expensive but work very well..
Because you still haven`t said what type your gauges are I`ll link to the most reliable (they may be the same as you already have so no need to change)...
This is a digital hygrometer, it measures both the humidity and the ambient (air) temp....
The second link shows an infrared "Temp-gun", with that you just point it towards the basking object and it will read the surface temp (but not the air) which is why you need both types.
You only need to know two temps during the daytime; the lowest ambient (air) @ approx. 21 to 24c (that will be in the cooler parts), then the SURFACE temp on the basking object where the dragon basks to heat up which needs to be between approx. 40 to 45c.
The humidity should range between approx. 30 to 60% or so, the lower figure will be around the basking area (heat bulb) the higher in the cooler parts. Do not listen to people who tell you the humidity must be kept very low at all times, that is incorrect and can lead to health problems such as failure to shed the skin completely.
If there`s anything you don`t quite understand, just ask!
Ok thank you so much. You really are being an amazing help. I think I have digital surface air temperature thermometer at either end but not the humidity as it does not give me a percentage so I will get a ambient air thermometer. His shedding is a lot quicker, his appetite has increased and he is more lively around his vivarium. In a couple days or weeks,I’ll update with some pictures of his improvement. Thanks again. If there’s anything else that needs adjusting, please let me know

·
Registered
988 Posts
You also have not yet stated the wattage and age of the UVB bulb. UVB bulbs need to be replaced once per year even if they still produce visible light, some brands need replacing once every 6 months

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You also have not yet stated the wattage and age of the UVB bulb. UVB bulbs need to be replaced once per year even if they still produce visible light, some brands need replacing once every 6 months
I know for certain it is not the UV bulb. I bought a new about 2 months ago and it is still working fine and it is 30W

1 - 20 of 26 Posts