Reptile Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Ok thank you so much. You really are being an amazing help. I think I have digital surface air temperature thermometer at either end but not the humidity as it does not give me a percentage so I will get a ambient air thermometer. His shedding is a lot quicker, his appetite has increased and he is more lively around his vivarium. In a couple days or weeks,I’ll update with some pictures of his improvement. Thanks again. If there’s anything else that needs adjusting, please let me know
The digital thermometer cannot accurately read the surface temp (if it has a probe) it`s still only reading the air temps, it`s the "Temp-gun" that you URGENTLY need to measure the basking SURFACE temp, until you do that you/we have no idea whether the conditions are suitable. You also need a hygrometer for the humidity range (I linked to both those items in my previous reply).

·
Registered
49 Posts
I always listen to murrindindi, gives great advice and always helped me when I’ve needed questions answering! & he’s given a lot of good info!
Your basking temps are easy to control, if you haven’t got one already you could benefit from a thermostat which has a node that enables you to control the temperature, but you will still need to use an infrared thermometer to take the temperature of the basking surface; as mentioned above you should aim for 41-43c!
Depending on if you’re using halogen bulbs, or the kind of bulbs you get from reptile shops you can use a 100w-150w but, will need to be controlled by a thermostat to avoid overheating!

Your humidity (which as mentioned above can be measured using a hygrometer) should be between 30-60%, if you are using a substrate (I suggest a 50/50 sand soil mix tightly compressed to hold some moisture) you can achieve this by very lightly misting the substrate once a day. If you’re not using substrate you can achieve this by having a bowl of water nearer the hot end of the Vivarium.

With regards to the UVB you may want to make some changes ddepending on how big your vivarium is.
If you’re using a T8 controller, you can use a 12% (desert) UVB bulb that’s made by Arcadia providing there’s about 25-30cm distance from the lightbulb to the basking site.
If you’re using a T5 controller, then you could benefit from either; a 12% T5 UVB Desert Bulb at a range of 30-45cm from your basking site, or a 14% T5 UVB Dragon Bulb at a range of 45-60cm from the basking side.
The UVB should also be no more that 2/3’s the enclosure so the animal has an opportunity to ‘catch a break’ if they want.

Lots of knowledgeable people on this forum, who are happy to help & you did the right thing by coming here to ask for some help, shows your willingness to learn & provide for an animal where in some places people get animals on a whim, don’t provide proper husbandry, animal gets sick & they pass it on to someone else or it dies!

Let us know how your beardy is, some of the above changes mentioned by all the users may cost you some money upfront, however it’swhat you should expect when having an ‘exotic’ animal, but what you put in, you get out as you can end up with a fantastic pet!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Doesn't look it. Very small for its age as well, and has a kinked tail.

Enclosure pic?
Temperatures?
Age, wattage and type of UV bulb?

Then can advise
My beardies were only fed every other day. And they lived 13 plus years
Hi there. My bearded dragon is 256g and is about 4 years old but doesn’t seem to like to eat regularly. Is he healthy and happy?
My dragons were always fed every other day and they lived to 13 years plus. Females seem to be smaller.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I always listen to murrindindi, gives great advice and always helped me when I’ve needed questions answering! & he’s given a lot of good info!
Your basking temps are easy to control, if you haven’t got one already you could benefit from a thermostat which has a node that enables you to control the temperature, but you will still need to use an infrared thermometer to take the temperature of the basking surface; as mentioned above you should aim for 41-43c!
Depending on if you’re using halogen bulbs, or the kind of bulbs you get from reptile shops you can use a 100w-150w but, will need to be controlled by a thermostat to avoid overheating!

Your humidity (which as mentioned above can be measured using a hygrometer) should be between 30-60%, if you are using a substrate (I suggest a 50/50 sand soil mix tightly compressed to hold some moisture) you can achieve this by very lightly misting the substrate once a day. If you’re not using substrate you can achieve this by having a bowl of water nearer the hot end of the Vivarium.

With regards to the UVB you may want to make some changes ddepending on how big your vivarium is.
If you’re using a T8 controller, you can use a 12% (desert) UVB bulb that’s made by Arcadia providing there’s about 25-30cm distance from the lightbulb to the basking site.
If you’re using a T5 controller, then you could benefit from either; a 12% T5 UVB Desert Bulb at a range of 30-45cm from your basking site, or a 14% T5 UVB Dragon Bulb at a range of 45-60cm from the basking side.
The UVB should also be no more that 2/3’s the enclosure so the animal has an opportunity to ‘catch a break’ if they want.

Lots of knowledgeable people on this forum, who are happy to help & you did the right thing by coming here to ask for some help, shows your willingness to learn & provide for an animal where in some places people get animals on a whim, don’t provide proper husbandry, animal gets sick & they pass it on to someone else or it dies!

Let us know how your beardy is, some of the above changes mentioned by all the users may cost you some money upfront, however it’swhat you should expect when having an ‘exotic’ animal, but what you put in, you get out as you can end up with a fantastic pet!
Thank you, really really helpful. I will

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The digital thermometer cannot accurately read the surface temp (if it has a probe) it`s still only reading the air temps, it`s the "Temp-gun" that you URGENTLY need to measure the basking SURFACE temp, until you do that you/we have no idea whether the conditions are suitable. You also need a hygrometer for the humidity range (I linked to both those items in my previous reply).
Alright, will do

21 - 26 of 26 Posts