Reptile Forums banner

Bearded Dragon Help

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  kris1403 
#1 ·
Hi all,

so Romeo hasnt been eating for about 4 weeks now. i took him to the vet and he had a serious case of worms. The vet said he was the healthiest vet she had seen and he should be eating again in no time.

Ive completed the 2 courses of worms treatment, antibiotics and probiotic but he still isnt eating. He will when i put veg in his mouth but he should be responding to food surely. He has no interest in live food what so ever and will only eat one spring green leaf off his own back. Hes lost alot of weight so a trip to the vet is needed again i think. does anyone have an idea whats wrong with him? surely not worms after 3 weeks of treatment.

My main concern is his lack of Nutrobol and Calcium. With him not interested in food hes not getting what he needs. Can i give it him mixed with water through a syringeand if so what kind of dosages? or any other suggestions?

Oh and its his 1st Birthday today - Happy Birthday Romeo

thanks all

#2 ·
Maybe hes going through brumation and slowing down for a couple of weeks a lot of beardies do at this time of the year! But if he's losing weight I'd get it checked out...

#4 ·
thanks both, that could explain it. although he is still quite active.

any thoughts on his lack of nutrobol/calcium

thanks

#9 ·
hi there
how did the vet find out your dragon had worms???
did you have a fecal sample done???
if so what else did the dragon have???

force feeding or hand feeding is a must when giving meds
as for stressing your dragon this only happens when not carried out properly

i hand feed my dragons every week its part of my Regine to look after there gut
its basic husbandry

#11 ·
Thanks for replies, yes i took a fecal sample to the vet. She did say what the name of what he had was but i cant remember it. She said it was worms. She did say that he had alot more than she would normally see in a sample.

The antibiotics (marbocyl), worms medicine (panacur) and probiotics (portexin) were all oral medicines. I was told to pinch his beard and pull down to open his mouth. he didnt particularly enjoy it but got quite clever at pulling his head up to avoid it :)

i always hand feed his veg so i know he gets enough food but the only way he is eating now is by placing a corner of the veg in the edge of his mouth he will then have a good chomp. he doesnt appear stressed by this at all and will make it perfectly clear when hes had enough

Has he been pooping normally? This happened to my beardie, he didn't eat or poop for such a long time. He was pretty constipated, and as soon as he pooped, he started eating again and now he's prefect.

It was because of anti-biotics he was taking.

Anti-biotics or medication can cause your beardie to go off food until it's out of his system, or cause him to be constipated. If he's constipated he wont eat because he will feel full.
He normally poops daily (bi-daily at longest). for the first couple of weeks he was ill he pood twice i think. Since the medicine its been 3-4 days between poos depending on how much food he will take. its been a week now since all his medicine has stopped but he still shows no interest in veg or live food so he's not getting any supplements either - do you know if i can mix them with water and give them to him with a syringe

thanks again

#10 ·
Has he been pooping normally? This happened to my beardie, he didn't eat or poop for such a long time. He was pretty constipated, and as soon as he pooped, he started eating again and now he's prefect.

It was because of anti-biotics he was taking.

Anti-biotics or medication can cause your beardie to go off food until it's out of his system, or cause him to be constipated. If he's constipated he wont eat because he will feel full.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.