Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dom is about 4 months old, he always had an extremely big appetite and loved crickets but about 4 weeks ago he just went off them. i was worried at first but with help from others here i came to the conlusion that he got bored of them. i still offered them to him for a while but thought the best option would be to change his live portion of his diet to another type of live food. i tried hoppers and other things similar but he wasnt interested.

he has been showing signs of brumation which is strange giving that he is only 4months. reading that it is not advised to let them brumate at this age and keep them stimulated and eating i started trying him with everything to get him to eat live food again.

out of frustration i thought i'd try him on mealworms which i wasnt happy about but i was worried he wasnt eating due to brumation, i just made sure i fed him only the newly shedded white ones. he loved them and so i realised then that he wanted worm type food. i began looking for good worms rather than mealworms and read that morioworms are good but not reccomended for his size. i thought i would try them though and see how he did with them. he loved them and for the first week or 2 his poo was healthy. he used to have a movement about twice a day but then it went to once a day and then every other day. i was worried and was bathing him in wam water and rubbing his under belly gently to try and stimulate him. this worked like magic and is what i have been doing since. on one of the days he seemed to struggle and pushed really hard. he pushed so hard that it looked like his vent swelled up and it looked sore. it went down after about 30 seconds and he went back to his perky self immediately. i stopped the morioworms then. his movements were fine here after.

i got hold of some silkworms and other goodies for him which he loved but unfortunately no one stocks them local to me that im aware of and had to order them from far away. the silkies were really expensive and they dont come with many, plus they die really fast. so i bought more hoppers and small crickets and when he would grab a worm i would trick him into eating hoppers and crickets by putting them infront of his mouth while he was eating. this worked really well.

anyway the reason im posting is today i put him in the bath to help hydrate his skin and to help stimulate a movement. he pushed really hard and made a movement but he also had a purple/red swollen lump sticking out of his vent. it looked painful and he dragged his vent in the water. it went down again after about 30seconds. it really worried me. i know, i know i should of taken him to a herp vet the first time but it didnt seem bad the first time and i hadnt found a good vet yet. i have found a few but the only one that has been reccomended on this site is amicus. the other local vets have had poor feedback on here.

i will be taking him there when i find a way of getting to him as he is about 40minutes drive away. but what im asking is, has any one else experienced this and if so what was the outcome?

·
Registered
13,799 Posts
you havnt got your location on here so its difficult for us to recommend a local vet to you.

i know nowt about beardies but it sounds like the food you`re giving him is too big and he`s struggling with it, and he`s prolapsing his back end.

whats your set up like and are his temps ok?
low temps could make digesting his food difficult.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
his temps during the day are around 35-38 in basking area and around 28-32 in the cool side of the viv.

im aware that he needs high temps to aid food digestion, i make sure that he has every opportunity to thermoregulate and enough places to climb or hide.

im not sure if im right in saying this but is it a possibility that he caused it himself? what i mean to say is, i had him in a warm bath for about 10 minutes this morning and he started tensing his body and relaxing as if he was working something down his guts and then he pushed hard. is it possible that he wasn't ready to pass that poop and by stimulating him to poop made him force one out and hurting himself?

im located in great barr in birmingham, its more or less between the city centre and walsall town centre. if anyone knows any good rep vets in these areas that would be geat.

thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts