Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have just built a 5ft tank and its 1.5ft high and 1.5 depth it has 1 9 week old bd in and 11 week 1, i ve got a heat mat in and a 50watt which the temp says at the hot end 30c the promble am havin is i only have a uv light bulb at the back which is only 1 foot long which is 2.0 i no its not anuff but am tryin to get it sorted i need a 48 inch bulb which will need to be 10.0 40 watt i ve had alook on ebay all i can see is this any good Exo Terra Repti Glo 10.0 40w 48" Reptile Bulb on eBay (end time 19-Aug-09 12:07:09 BST)

also i need a new starter unit as mine says at the bottom tube 14/15watt will this power the 1 on ebay ? ( i think it wont)
and will this starter be any good with this bulb Light Starter Unit 40W 1.5" End Caps Tropical Discus on eBay (end time 23-Aug-09 14:21:34 BST)

and i havent got a clue why its sayin in the describe it s 1.5 inch cap how will i no what cap to get any 1 thanks

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Yes this all sounds ok you could always pop in to your local reptile shop and buy the bit then you can alway take um back if they dont fit. I see they are doing starters now that just do 1 wattage ie 35w-40w and these seem really good they are cheap about £10-£15 and the are really small and don't get hot. I wouldn't bother with the heat mat over summer some people dont use them at all. I always use repti sun 10 they seem very good never had a problem well only the £30 price tag :lol2:
For a basking bulb use a spot bulb it doesn't matter if its a reptile on or a house on though

Hope this helps

·
Registered
458 Posts
You've actually got two problems, one being your UV which you appear to be trying to sort. The other is the temp.
i ve got a heat mat in and a 50watt which the temp says at the hot end 30c
for babies 30C is near their cool end temp, you need to get 39~42C at the basking spot to have any hope of them surviving. Lose the mat and get a 60 or 75 watt Phillips RO 80 spotlight, hook it up to a thermostat and you should then be able to get your temps sorted.

Rick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts