Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My female bearded dragon around 4 years old has just came out of what I suspected to be semi-brumation and since for the last few days, has been very overly active, doing laps of the vivarium / wall surfing, lots of climbing and making alot of mess.

From the untrained eye you would just think shes happy, letting off some steam after her long period of inactivity etc which if im honest I am still hoping does play a factor, but just incase.. as according to google wall surfing can be a sign of stress / boredom; that shes simply trying to tell me something.

Does this behaviour sound familiar to anyone else?

I literally take away all these bowls, clean them aswell as the slate they are on, all fresh veg / water etc..... within the hour its back like this, repeatedly... Pain in the ass :rolleyes:

Organism Wood Grass Ingredient Soil

Shes in a 4x2x2 foot vivarium as shes always been, using the deep heat projector for heat source, jungle dawn for light source and T5 12% uvb.. All arcadia stuff

·
Registered
140 Posts
Our Savannah monitor and iguana will try to open the Viv when they want to have look around.
(Changed the latch on the sav viv as his far to smart for his own good)
So maybe same for yours.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, when was the dragon last gravid, and how deep is the substrate, also,
can you give details of the temps (ambient and basking surface) plus the humidity range?
Hi
Not sure what gravid means? If thats another term for shedding then im not sure, I cant actually remember so its been a while.
Substrate is about 2 inches, thats as deep as it can go with this typical style of vivarium unfortunately, I know.. :-(

Temps are currently reading as 35c hot (thats with a temp gun on her actual surface) also the air digital temp which is attached to the same platform she basks on is 34.5c. Cold side digital temp probe is reading as 24c.

The thermostat on her hot side is actually cranked up all the way on a high range thermostat, that must be the hottest it goes with the deep heat projector but i know they since released another version of the DHP with double the wattage, maybe that is an option for me to look at getting, pending on what you guys response to my temps are, incase you say temps should be 40c+

Oh and humidity is usually around 30-70 as a large average, I give it a quick mist in the mornings. RIght now its showing as 99%, I think its broken

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No idea about her carrying eggs, not something Id ever thought about. So yeah I dont know
I guess my deep heat projector isnt powerful enough for the distance the basking platform is beneth it to heat it high enough.. I think mine is the 50watt one and now there is a 100watt one am I right? Does that mean it can produce double the heat, so thats what I should probably get ? I cant decrease the gap between the heat and basking platform

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
No idea about her carrying eggs, not something Id ever thought about. So yeah I dont know
I guess my deep heat projector isnt powerful enough for the distance the basking platform is beneth it to heat it high enough.. I think mine is the 50watt one and now there is a 100watt one am I right? Does that mean it can produce double the heat, so thats what I should probably get ? I cant decrease the gap between the heat and basking platform
Hi again, thanks for more details; If the dragon has never been gravid ("pregnant") that you`re aware of, how do you know you have a female? If you do, the substrate must be deeper and heated for nesting.
Here is a link to a very effective type of "basking" bulb, wattage will depend on enclosure size plus usual room temps during the day when the animal is active..Note it MUST be flood beam, not spot... If you cannot raise/lower the bulb then raise/lower the basking object until you achieve the desired surface temps which as already stated, should range between approx. 40 to 45c (offer a larger basking site/object so you get a decent variation of surface temps).
What type of UVB are you offering, and can you show a photo of the whole enclosure, including a top view?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

--
Can I ask another question s
Hi again, thanks for more details; If the dragon has never been gravid ("pregnant") that you`re aware of, how do you know you have a female? If you do, the substrate must be deeper and heated for nesting.
Here is a link to a very effective type of "basking" bulb, wattage will depend on enclosure size plus usual room temps during the day when the animal is active..Note it MUST be flood beam, not spot... If you cannot raise/lower the bulb then raise/lower the basking object until you achieve the desired surface temps which as already stated, should range between approx. 40 to 45c (offer a larger basking site/object so you get a decent variation of surface temps).
What type of UVB are you offering, and can you show a photo of the whole enclosure, including a top view?
So that halogen bulbs better than arcadias newer technology with the DHP?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
as for the female thing, there will be old posts on here where i posted pictures and everyone said shes female with the underneath pictures
Can you show the whole enclosure as it is right now, no point in looking at old posts/photos about the enclosure and dragon in the past, although I did see you were having problems a couple of years ago, too?
The halogens are very effective as I said and half the price of the Arcadia product (well worth trying).
If you do have a female she would surely have been gravid a number of times over the last 4 years? I need to say that the issues whatever they are may be very serious, it needs sorting out asap.
One last question; do you offer supplementation and if yes, what?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you show the whole enclosure as it is right now, no point in looking at old posts/photos about the enclosure and dragon in the past, although I did see you were having problems a couple of years ago, too?
The halogens are very effective as I said and half the price of the Arcadia product (well worth trying).
If you do have a female she would surely have been gravid a number of times over the last 4 years? I need to say that the issues whatever they are may be very serious, it needs sorting out asap.
One last question; do you offer supplementation and if yes, what?
Hi
Will post a picture later as im in work now.
Yes I offer arcadias calcium in a pot for her, and I coat her food with arcadia earthpro A.
I did another temp reading last night, I actually pointed the laser at her while she was basking and she was reading at 38c

What very serious issues are you even referring to? The overly activeness or not laying eggs?
She looks alot healthier than many other bearded dragons that I see

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Hi
Will post a picture later as im in work now.
Yes I offer arcadias calcium in a pot for her, and I coat her food with arcadia earthpro A.
I did another temp reading last night, I actually pointed the laser at her while she was basking and she was reading at 38c

What very serious issues are you even referring to? The overly activeness or not laying eggs?
She looks alot healthier than many other bearded dragons that I see

Thanks for the photos, I think there is too much empty space above ground that the dragon could make use of, can you add more stout branches/other?
The serious issues are that you haven`t measured the surface temps, you measure the lizard`s surface which is not a particularly good indication of it`s core body temp, you have no idea what the humidity range is because the gauge is broken, nor are you aware if the lizard has been gravid over the last 4 years if it is in fact female?
You say you cannot reduce the distance from the heat bulb to the basking object, surely you can put together another basking object that`s closer to the bulb if the surface temps need raising (or maybe lowering a bit)?
Do you now or have you ever offered supplementary D3?
Can you get some new photos of the dragon`s vent area from below?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to reiterate the male/female question, here is a load of pics. I am pretty sure she is female from these pictures. Anyone care to confirm shes female?

Grey Wood Fawn Twig Whiskers

Wood Feather Grey Whiskers Fawn

Wood Grey Floor Flooring Feather

Hand Furniture Table Wood Gesture

Leg Vertebrate Wood Mammal Felidae

Black Wood Table Grey Thigh

Carnivore Fawn Companion dog Felidae Sheep

Lizard Scaled reptile Reptile Fawn Carnivore

Lizard Fawn Scaled reptile Sheep Nail

Hand Reptile Lizard Fawn Iguania

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I would have to agree, judging by the photos you have a female, the question remains what are you providing in terms of nesting options, while it`s most likely she`s been reabsorbing the eggs or laying some infertile ones that you`ve missed, there`s a very real risk at some point she may hold on to them and suffer serious health problems.
You MUST start providing suitable nesting asap because you/we have no idea when she`ll become gravid again.
You say you cannot have a deeper substrate but one way to increase the option is to have a barrier inside behind the glass, maybe 4 or 5 inches high to at least double the current depth, you can also add a "nestbox" as another option.
Have you taken the surface temp of the basking object, if yes, what is it?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You may not believe this but I did do tonnes of research from people here and externally, constantly asking questions too but I was never told about eggs or nesting so no I have never provided that as its never even crossed my mind, I can only feel guilty from that but do something about it now - moving forwards.
I told you the basking surface temp already, perhaps because both temps were identical you might've missed that but the 'air' temperature in the hot side was 35c, as was the reading on the actual surface of the basking area 35c read by a temp gun, however later on that evening the basking surface was 38c. I already know this is too low and I have already ordered the higher wattage DHP to tackle the low heat problem.

I will try and figure out a way to increase an area of the substrate to use as a nesting area, I guess this needs to be closer to the hot side than the cold, for the warmth.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts