Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nephew decided to take in someone's female 18 week old bearded dragon 2 days ago it came in a 2 ft viv and had only been eating mealworms and greens he put it in a 4 foot viv bought a new reptile glow bulb 10.0 and sorted its basking side to 106 and cool end 84 first day it was fine ate like a pig and the next day it started to shake a little in its back legs and ate around 6crickets but its been sick twice and it has diarrhea its now third day and its shaking all over won't eat at all and is still has diarrhea. He does not have the money for a vet so any ideas? I have told him how stupid he was to get one without being able to afford vet fees. I have one myself so know they cost a small fortune to look after all help would be great also possible rehoming to someone who has experiance with beardies

·
Registered
350 Posts
Wow sounds awful! :(

I'm no expert and not very experienced to give advice really, but I would recommend looking up (search sites?) "MBD" and looking at signs for that.

Is there any chance it drags its back legs around more than using them properly?
Maybe abnormally looks up (as though a problem with it's back) etc

Many signs of it really so best to read up,

Not sure on being sick/bad poo... Maybe worms?

Sorry to hear about her/him, but hopefully you will be able to get him/her to the vet soon enough.
Some will sort out stuff like payment plans to make it easier to afford the bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi no didn't drag her legs around just keeps shaking, she is still really alert and her eyes are bright.

·
Registered
684 Posts
could have parasites from stress of move.just a thought..poo test isnt much online.you send for the test kit..then send it back.

·
Registered
684 Posts
has its food been dusted with calcium...i do mine mon tue thur fri sun .the other days i dust with vitamins

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
on the days it ate it was havin the calci dust, but now its not eating i put a little bit of calci dust in water and dripped a little on her nose which she drank. where can you get the fecal test online i wouldnt mind paying for him. But how long can it go with the shakes and not eating,

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sound horrible but if no one can afford the vets then maybe take it to the RSPCA or similar rescue centre were it can get the treatment it may need

·
Registered
577 Posts
It sounds like a very bad reaction to the feeders. There are some things that you can start at home. If it is a reaction to a feeder that was contaminated you want to clear out his system. Water by dropper, no food. An electrolyte will help to strengthen his system and chamomile tea as a bath and drink will help to ease any gastric discomfort and fortify him in a number of ways. Also add a drop or two of white vinegar which will help to destroy some bacterias in the gut and intestinal track.

HEALTH NAT: Electrolytes -               BambooZoo

HEALTH: NA Chamomile -               BambooZoo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
she is alot better today, she isn't shaking and seems to be walking better and generally has more energy. Her poo is more solid (although still not as solid as I would like!) and she hasn't been sick since the first day. We have given her a bath with some calcium and honey in and made sure she is hydrated (with water + calcium and a little honey also). She is overall loads better. I checked on her about 10 last night and all she had was a little twitch in one of her toes, by today there is no sign of twitching.
She still isn't eating, although she seemed interested in the food she doesn't try to get it. I felt her jaw gently and on one side it seemed as if it was a little tender for her so I'm guessing this may be a reason why she isn't eating? How long would it take for her jaw to get better if it will at all?
How can I help her to maybe get a little food into her? She has licked some baby food (Chicken) from my finger, but doesn't have much (I don't think she likes it all that much lol)
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
684 Posts
thats great news ,watery poo isnt always a bad thing,could be your dragons properly hydrated,specially after bath

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah I might try that, I'll pick one up from the pharmacy tomorrow if she still hasn't eaten. I still can't believe the difference in her already, I just want her to eat now! And I will pick up an Arcadia 12% + D3 bulb tomorrow too, just to help her further...

·
Registered
577 Posts
very glad to hear! :)

Often, after regurgitation they will turn away from the food that was offered. Another bath or two in the honey will probably have her feeling ready to eat.

Calcium can be absorbed into the system very quickly too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hooray!

I woke up this morning and put her viv lights on and let her warm up. She was looking really energetic (compared to recently) so I thought I'd try her with some food. To my extreme happiness, she ate! I'm sooo happy and nearly did a little dance :lol2:
I made sure I didn't over feed her, just gave her enough to keep her happy for a while and will give her another feed in a few hours. She even chased her food with no trouble. I'm going to keep a close eye on her to make sure she's definitely on the mend, and have the arcadia bulb in too now so that will help further. Just want to say thanks to everyone who helped me! :2thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts