Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I have my beardie for over a year now and i want to change my terrarium, since I want to add life plants in there i am wondering what u guys think about the following idea:

I want to build a sort base with Zoo med Excavator clay, also i want to make sort of cup holder for the plants. The rest of the soil will be filled up with playground sand.
I don't know if the plants can grow in playground soil?
For the plants i found a kit from the bio dude, this kit contains x1 Opuntia Danicolor "8"-12"), x1 Elephant Feed Shrub small (6" - 8"), and one 4" pot Aloe Plant.

I have no idea about this guy, maybe some body here has?
Or do you guys advice me to go to my local plant store and find these plants there?.

For lighting i want to get a Arcadia T5 UVB around the back, I'm open for suggestions.
On the warm side i have a 100 W baking lamp and on the cold side i am thinking of no lamp or maybe just one for the color.

My terrarium is 120 x 50 x 50 cm.

I am open to any other ideas and please let me know what you think about this idea.
I am planning on making this upgrade in 8 weeks so no hurry in replies ^^.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My best bet would be to go on YouTube and type in bio dude bearded dragon setup. His videos are the best step by step vivarium builds I’ve seen online. Also explains a little bit about how each part works like substrate layers and clean up crew etc. This will give you a proper self cleaning tank your dragon will thrive in.

·
Registered
98 Posts
John has said in another topic that plants should be grown directly in soil as they can end up pot bound and the roots tangled and starved of nutrients. I don’t see play ground sand having the necessary nutrients required for plant growth.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Soik substrate shoukd be used in stead of just pure sand. I found with my beardie he destroyed all his live plants.

·
Registered
686 Posts
big thick succulents and grasses are better plants for beardies because anything else will just get destroyed and/or eaten
I havent bothered trying live plants just yet, I still have a grass type artificial plant with my beardie, you should see the state of it, if it was real it would be dead, my beardie seems to enjoy jumping onto it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well my bearded seems to be eating his plastic plants so i dont want those any more. But i like a little bit of green.

·
Registered
686 Posts
yeah fair enough, id like to as well one day just not sure how well id do it my substrate is only about 2-3 inches deep

1 - 8 of 8 Posts