Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember someone on this forum mentioning they use a fully digestable hemp type substrate to keep their beardie on, however i cant find the thread, does anyone know where i can get hold of some of it (the substrate!)??
cheers :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try your local petshop. I wouldve thought that a guaranteed supplier would be somewhere like pets at home, hemp bedding is most commonly used for tortoises etc... so somewhere like that will probarbly have it.
hope this helps! :D

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hate to be a party pooper but any particle type substrate is not recommended for a BD :p Reptile carpet, shelf liner, or ceramic tiles are much cheaper, cleaner, and safer. Even if the substrate says it is digestable, it could be too big for the lizards intestines and can lead to internal bleeding, or damage to the lizards organs.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got beech chippings in there at the min that are approx 1cm square, should i take those out?

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
depending how old your beardie is, i personally strongly recoment keeping them on lino (false flor tiles), paper towel or slate id they are anything under 15 inches,

adults, its a little more acceptable to keep them on sand but we still preffer to keep ours on wood finnish lino...

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I stand corrected, I must say your viv looks lovely :) only one thing, is the lino not a bit slippy for them?? probably a stupid question.... :oops:

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I stand corrected, I must say your viv looks lovely :) only one thing, is the lino not a bit slippy for them?? probably a stupid question.... :oops:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yeh thats the only possible problem. You could try ceramic tiles too, cheap but harder to find correct sizes for your viv.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i keep my lizards on calci sand, cause it disolves when wet and is made of clacium so its good for them, thats what i keep my swift on and its only 8 inches long and havent had any problems, if the beardy is about a year, i would recomend calci sand, i prfer it to tiles and things...no offensive to anyone that uses them. i feel its more natural cause they are on sand in the wild.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well i got told it does and swift gets sand in its water and swalows it and it doesnt come out the other end, so it must dissolve in the stomach.

·
Registered
632 Posts
i find that very hard to believe :? not saying its untrue but for something to dissolve it would break down entirely when in contact with fluid, surely calci sand doesn't dissapear to a residue when wet?

speaking from a veterinary point of view loose substrate leads to impactations, something i see way too frequently!!

this forum is full of different oppinions, and i guess we go by what we know?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Calci-sand tends to clump when wet.. so the chance of an impaction is even bigger. It is a breeding ground for bacteria, and costs a fortune to keep buying, and is impossible to clean out. It is like your BD living in a litter-bin.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
calci sand does dissolve eventually but it takes a very long time..the finer the calci sand the better...i have used it for the past 5 years with my leopards and never had a problem..but all it takes it that one time!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Have only had my beardies a couple of weeks and had set up my viv. with hemp substrate. (recommended by Northampton Rep. Ctr.)
However having read all the posts I've decided it just wasn't worth the risk to my beardies health.
So popped along to local carpet place at the weekend and the viv. now sports a very trendy pebble patterned lino floor.
Beardies seem quite happy with it (nowhere for the crickets to hide ) - and I'm finding it much easier to keep clean.
Its gonna save some money aswell.

Janine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
the lino idea is a good one to avoid impaction i think i might go get some and do a half lino half calci-sand set up at the moment my bearie pebbles has half calci-sand half reptile carpet but 90% of the time i hand feed her which lowers the risk of impaction even more i wonder how acidic beardie's intestine and stomach is if it has a high acid level then i'd think digestion wouldnt be a problem but i dont reckon i'll ever find out so i'll continue on with my plan cheers for the lino idea i'll use that one and continue to hand feed her sometimes i like to see her chase her crickets and locusts give her a bit of exercise she comes out her viv alot when the dog and the rats are sleeping so she nice and fit beardies can become obese as they reavh maturity and this can lead to there life being shortened so i make her do circuits round the living room chasing my toe nails think she like my nail varnish she did catch my toe once but we wont go there ha she didnt mean but i bleed alright all over the floor into the bathroom ha ha think she thought my nail varnish must have resembled a peice of fruit or veg or maybe she's just mad thats the only time she trys to munch me when she see's my nail varnish wonder what she thinks it is??

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
nah its not slippy as its like a rubber so is soft enough for them to grip...

calci sand is most certainly NOT digestable, its passable, but if they try to pass too much at once it gets stuck, and once it gets stuck it just builds up and up till nothing can pass... im not saying its wrong for you to keep your animals on it, i have my mourish geckos onit, but with leo's and beardies they tend to lick more so i preffer to not have the chance of impaction :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts