Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to owning beradies and would really appreciate some help getting my temperatures right! I have a 4x2x2 viv with a UVB strip down the middle, a 75w daylight basking lamp and rock at one end and i have put the censor to my thermostat right in the middle of the back wall which is set on about 27C (81F).

I have lowered my UVB tube to about 9 inches from the bottom of my viv as the beardie i am getting is only 8 weeks old.. Under my basking lamp i have a rock for basking and my lamp is about 7 inches from the top of the rock.

In the 'cool end' of my viv i have a digital thermometer and in the warm end i have a probe.. The temperature in my cool end is between 25C (77F) and 28C (82.4F) and in the warm end next to the basking rock it reads between 34C (93.2F) and 37C (98.6F) and with the probe on top of the basking rock it reads between 43C (109F) and 46C (114.8F).

Is there any way to tell the surface temperature of my basking rock without getting an IR thermometer as i have bought everything else i need and now i literally dont even have £10 for an IR thermometer :(

My beardie isn't in the viv yet i am supposed to be picking him up in 3 days time and i realy want to get the tempertatures sorted before i do!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
As long as all the temps you are reading are from accurate digital thermometers then that sounds good temp wise. I would increase the height of the spot bulb or lower the basking spot so that the bulb is at least 25cm away from the highest basking spot to avoid any burns.

Add a pic of your setup if you can and then we can be sure all is ok!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Take the rock out, they wont benefit from it, if anything you it could result in serious burns (I've heard it happening time and time again!). Beardies absorb their heat from the top - hence their ability to "splat" themselves out to absorb as much as possible from their spotlights. They can't feel the heat from underneath, therefore even if they're burning, they most likely wont realise in time to shift themselves. All you need is the one basking spot and a cool end, with the UV.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
As long as all the temps you are reading are from accurate digital thermometers then that sounds good temp wise. I would increase the height of the spot bulb or lower the basking spot so that the bulb is at least 25cm away from the highest basking spot to avoid any burns.

Add a pic of your setup if you can and then we can be sure all is ok!

I have moved my bulb to 11in (28cm) from the basking rock, would i have to adjust my thermostat slightly so then the probe on the rock detects temperatures of 43C (109F) to 46C (115F) or have i moved it away to try and cool it down slightly? I've read that beardies need the heat underneath to help digest their food..?

I have a pictire on my laptop but this forum will only allow me to post links to pictures and not actually put my own pictures on so unfortunately i can't post a pic i'm sorry

·
Registered
886 Posts
They need overall heat in order to digest, as I said, they absorb the heat from the top (hence "basking"). You're probably thinking of geckos, such as the Leopards who absorb the majority from their undersides. Heat rocks, along with Heatmats, are a big no-no with beardies.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
is it a rock thats electrically heated or a normal rock thats under the heat lamp, if its the latter i would leave it in if its the former as said bin it. other than that your temps seem fine!

·
Registered
886 Posts
I was assuming he meant an electrically-heated rock, if it's the latter then yes that is fine.
: victory:

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
You will need to adjust your stat yes. You want the temps you described in your initial post just your bulb was too close to your basking spot and could therefore burn your beardy. It's at a safe distance now by the sounds of things so just get the temps back to how you had them before by slowly increasing the temp on the stat or moving the stat probe towards the cooler end.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No sorry it didnt even consider an electronicaly heated rock.. This is just a basking rock bought for a pound from my reptile centre, boiled and then microwaved and put into the viv.

Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys i will work on getting my temps back to how they were before moving the lamp away from the basking spot, just one last thing.. Am i right to keep my tube at around 9 inch from the bottom of my viv?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts