Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to owning beradies and would really appreciate some help getting my temperatures right! I have a 4x2x2 viv with a UVB strip down the middle, a 75w daylight basking lamp and rock at one end and i have put the censor to my thermostat right in the middle of the back wall which is set on about 27C (81F).

I have lowered my UVB tube to about 9 inches from the bottom of my viv as the beardie i am getting is only 8 weeks old.. Under my basking lamp i have a rock for basking and my lamp is about 7 inches from the top of the rock.

In the 'cool end' of my viv i have a digital thermometer and in the warm end i have a probe.. The temperature in my cool end is between 25C (77F) and 28C (82.4F) and in the warm end next to the basking rock it reads between 34C (93.2F) and 37C (98.6F) and with the probe on top of the basking rock it reads between 43C (109F) and 46C (114.8F).

Is there any way to tell the surface temperature of my basking rock without getting an IR thermometer as i have bought everything else i need and now i literally dont even have £10 for an IR thermometer :sad:

My beardie isn't in the viv yet i am supposed to be picking him up in 3 days time and i realy want to get the tempertatures sorted before i do!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Ryan

Reactions: mikall

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Hi, I am new to owning beradies and would really appreciate some help getting my temperatures right! I have a 4x2x2 viv with a UVB strip down the middle, a 75w daylight basking lamp and rock at one end and i have put the censor to my thermostat right in the middle of the back wall which is set on about 27C (81F).

I have lowered my UVB tube to about 9 inches from the bottom of my viv as the beardie i am getting is only 8 weeks old.. Under my basking lamp i have a rock for basking and my lamp is about 7 inches from the top of the rock.

In the 'cool end' of my viv i have a digital thermometer and in the warm end i have a probe.. The temperature in my cool end is between 25C (77F) and 28C (82.4F) and in the warm end next to the basking rock it reads between 34C (93.2F) and 37C (98.6F) and with the probe on top of the basking rock it reads between 43C (109F) and 46C (114.8F).

Is there any way to tell the surface temperature of my basking rock without getting an IR thermometer as i have bought everything else i need and now i literally dont even have £10 for an IR thermometer :sad:

My beardie isn't in the viv yet i am supposed to be picking him up in 3 days time and i realy want to get the tempertatures sorted before i do!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Ryan
Those temperatures sound spot on to me?

I have been getting my setup ready over the weekend and i literally just place a thermometer probe on the basking area to read the temperature on that. My logic is if you have a probe on the back or side wall (whichever is closer to the basking rock) in line with the height of the basking rock, at the same time as having one on the basking spot, you can see the difference in temperatures between the two areas and then when you remove the one from the basking rock you can tell what it is by looking at the one nearest to it - by remembering the difference in temperatures. (If that makes any sense?)

It won't be 100% accurate all the time i don't think, but if it's, say, 45 on the rock while 40 on the side, you can know that whenever the side says 38-40 the rock is good, and if it drops to say 30, you will need to measure the temperature on the rock and adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I posted in your oter thread. Temps are fine. Just check the distance b etween bulb and basking spot. I'd say 7" is a little on the low side. You want to increase that distance to avoid burns.

Reactions: mikall

·
Registered
353 Posts
I posted in your oter thread. Temps are fine. Just check the distance b etween bulb and basking spot. I'd say 7" is a little on the low side. You want to increase that distance to avoid burns.
I agree.. Distance between lamp and basking spot wants to be 10" minimum..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts