Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1 year old rescue dragon. I've had him for around 2 weeks now and he hasn't been too keep on his food. I've tried feeding him crickets and mealworms on various feeds and he seems I like mealworms the most.
He doesn't touch his vegetables at all.
Since I've had him he's only had a bit of parsnip mash and a few leaves of rocket.
The other night I fed him some meal worms and he loved them. Later in the day he ate some more. This was around 20/30 mealies and he had a wax worm too. However this afternoon I saw that he had thrown up the mealworms is a big clump along with the one wax worm.
Why is this? Did he eat too much?

Viv temps: basking area 43 degrees c cool side 20 degrees c
3 ft viv

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
A lot of reptiles struggle to digest mealworms so that is probably what has happened. Stop feeding him so many mealworms and try crickets, locusts, or dubias

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
A lot of reptiles struggle to digest mealworms so that is probably what has happened. Stop feeding him so many mealworms and try crickets, locusts, or dubias

Mealworms should not be difficult to digest if the animal has the right heat and is hydrated. Most reptiles have an enzyme specifically for the digestion of chitin.

Regurgitation is often due to stuffing their gobs, incorrect heat and several other things. I reckon it's that his eyes were bigger than his stomach, reduce the food intake until he's used to the amounts of food.

The basking temp can be upped a little as long as it doesn't affect the cold end (can be done be raising the basking platform). Now just keep an eye on it, if it happens again take to the vets.

Reactions: tremerz97

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
not going to repeat what vgorst said but that viv will need to be upgraded to a 4x2x2 soon.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Im assuming that those temps are the daytime ones. Is this correct? What temperature is your enclosure getting down to at night?

As vgorst stated, it would be a good idea to increase the temperature of the basking site. This should help you increase the cool end too, which is not a bad thing. If 20 is your cool side during the day, Im guessing that it probably cools considerably at night. You dont ever want your enclosure getting any lower than 18-19 C at night. If you fed him mealworms "later in the day" and then allowed the temps in the enclosure to drop lower than 20 overnight, it would have severely reduced his ability to digest. I would think that was probably the case here, though I dont want to make any assumptions. Not difficult to fix if that was the issue though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts