Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a 4ft vivarium for a bearded dragon and currently setting it up, i am just wondering what wattage of light controller i will need (as there are that many) along with the tube wattage and UV percentage as i have seen a couple of controllers on ebay that seem relatively cheap but unsure if i can use any old type of controller providing it has a 1" diameter

thanks for any advice
tropical joey

·
Registered
682 Posts
For the bearded dragon you want a 12% UV bulb and I think the wattage varies with the size in a 4ft viv I THINK you would need a 39w which is 34" D3+ Reptile Lamp T5 | Swell Reptiles to allow a UV gradient so the beardie can regulate its UV intake.. Im not sure if this is true with a different brand of UV as I only know about the Arcadia ones (well I think I do lol).

If you are going to buy a UV if you don't currently have one I 100% recommend Arcadia Slimline Vivarium Canopy and T5 Lamp | Swell Reptiles This Arcaida Luminair they last 12 months before you have to change the bulb so would save you money in the long run. Easy to fit and just one unit with one cable to plug in no big starter units as its all inside the case with the bulb. Also the link only shows the 54w one which I think might be too long for your 4ft viv but you can shop around if needed.

Stu

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the bearded dragon you want a 12% UV bulb and I think the wattage varies with the size in a 4ft viv I THINK you would need a 39w which is 34" D3+ Reptile Lamp T5 | Swell Reptiles to allow a UV gradient so the beardie can regulate its UV intake.. Im not sure if this is true with a different brand of UV as I only know about the Arcadia ones (well I think I do lol).

If you are going to buy a UV if you don't currently have one I 100% recommend Arcadia Slimline Vivarium Canopy and T5 Lamp | Swell Reptiles This Arcaida Luminair they last 12 months before you have to change the bulb so would save you money in the long run. Easy to fit and just one unit with one cable to plug in no big starter units as its all inside the case with the bulb. Also the link only shows the 54w one which I think might be too long for your 4ft viv but you can shop around if needed.

Stu
thanks for the help, i will have a look into it :2thumb:

·
Registered
302 Posts
With controller, I've noticed in store the price doesn't change with the what wattage you go for so depends on the tube you want to use and keep using. The wattage of the bulb doesn't make a huge difference with 15 watt U get about 2C an inch away from the bulb so idealy with a thermostat on ur heat source again the wattage won't matter unles its to hot to have a succesful heat gradience beardies need 12% uvb so go from there on the wattage requirements.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With controller, I've noticed in store the price doesn't change with the what wattage you go for so depends on the tube you want to use and keep using. The wattage of the bulb doesn't make a huge difference with 15 watt U get about 2C an inch away from the bulb so idealy with a thermostat on ur heat source again the wattage won't matter unles its to hot to have a succesful heat gradience beardies need 12% uvb so go from there on the wattage requirements.
does the tube need to be atleast 3 foot or does it need to be the full length of the tank?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.