Reptile Forums banner

what do u thing would be best as a starter?

• plated lizard (leave a post saying why)

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • bearded dragon (leave a post saying why)

Votes: 9 56.3%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:welcome:hello :D

well for the past couple of days i have been thinking about getting a nice Sudan plated...

but just recently i have been finding my self become more drawn to a cute lil bearded dragon (my sister recently purchased 1 and hes so cool lol)...

basically i need help to decide which 1 makes a better pet...

i know the needs of each pet and have been reading up on them both, (this sites very resourceful :D)

any ways, any help would be much appreciated,

i would like details on:

• prices to buy (babies or adults)
  • cost to keep
  • which is easier to care for
  • taming
  • amount of care needed
many thanks people :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump
up
my

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BUMP

can any 1 help me out?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bump...

·
Registered
15,532 Posts
i've no idea about sudan plated lizards to be honest, but i have a beardy and he's brilliant. are you experienced with keeping reps? i gather beardies are one of the best for beginners.

edit:
in terms of cost, mine cost me £50, but it was delivered. you can usually find them for more like £30 from a breeder. the set-up cost me about £250, with a 48" viv (you can get a smaller viv for cheaper, obviously, but bigger is better, you'll only have to upgrade when he grows), and i probably spend £30-40 a month feeding the little bugger. there are ways to save money on feeding though, such as breeding your own livefoods, growing your own leaves (they love dandelions) etc.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The Bearded is much more 'expressive', but the Plated can become a really good, tamed pet too. Feeding and buying etc are around about the same.

Beardeds are easier to breed, are much much more commonly captive bred and are an excellent all rounder. Plateds are still often wild caught and can be hard to breed in captivity.

So really it's down to your own personal preference, both are great good-sized reps to keep and both can become really tame, friendly and offer loads to a keeper.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
thanks a lot people,

Experience:
well i have had 2 garter snakes in the past, i had them for around 3 years had to get rid of them because moving hoses...

personaly:
im starting to move towards lizards and if im going to be honest, i think that bearded are just stunning looking animals, (kind of shallow but who isn't when it comes to pets :D)

cost:
as for cost i currently have about 100-300 left ova each month so i think that feeding wont be much of a problem also i think i will be covered if i ever catch the strange case of reptile addiction that seems to keep happening to people on this site. :D haha

set up:
i have a 3ft viv (paid £50 for it off my sister) if i get a baby beared or plated then i do realize i will have to either buy or make a 4ft viv but fortunately my dad is an experience carpenter.

time:
as for time i work from home so i will always be around him if he needs anything... and if im ever away i will have my more experienced bearded dragon keeping brother in-law to take care of him :D

breeding:
if i get a taste for reptile keeping i could turn to breeding, especial as there are no reptile shops in my local area of derby... so i think it would be a good little financial boost lol... (don't worry people, i know that these reptiles are living breathing creatures and deserve respect and dedication, and not just a way to make a bit of cash.)
what is every 1s opinions?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bump :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bump people. need to make my mind up by Wednesday so i need as many opinions as possible :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
One of my GF`s brothers has been having this same debate. He went for a bearded "cos its cuter". I`d like to say go for a plated though. I think ill be getting myself one soon, and its always nice to have something just that little bit different from the norm :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
hmmm it is difficult because there both such nice animals

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bump...

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
i have 2 beardies and they ave a very active lizard the set up will sting you thats it i get 500 crickets at a time for £7.20 they last about 3-4 weeks and about £3 a week on veg for them cheap as chips and well worth it

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hmmm that sounds like not 2 bad of a deal to be honest, where u getting ur crickets from for that kinda price?

and money aint a problem 2 be honest lol...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bump...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi - I have one of each, both 'rescue' males who had either bullied or killed their 'friend' when people had kept them with others.

In terms of price, plated lizards are more unusual, but relatively inexpensive. Feeding - my plated eats way more than my bigger beardie, but my beardie has always been a fairly modest feeder - the plated loves veg but my beardies only eats a tiny amount of veg and much prefers livefood. The plated is currently in a 3ft viv and the beardie in a 4ft, but the plated is smaller (don't know exact ages of either, but beardie is atleast 5 or 6).

My beardie absolutely loves being handled and has more personality, but then I have owned him for 4 years. The plated only arrived about 5 months ago and is still fairly nervous when handled, but he came from a pretty dodgy home covered in mites. He isn't aggressive at all, but tries to run when you pick him up and sometimes thrashes about a bit if he's unhappy, but he's getting better. I think this is more to do with his past, but then they are a species that like to burrow and I think are naturally more shy - he is pretty stunning to look at though.

Hope that's some help.

Kate

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi - I have one of each, both 'rescue' males who had either bullied or killed their 'friend' when people had kept them with others.

In terms of price, plated lizards are more unusual, but relatively inexpensive. Feeding - my plated eats way more than my bigger beardie, but my beardie has always been a fairly modest feeder - the plated loves veg but my beardies only eats a tiny amount of veg and much prefers livefood. The plated is currently in a 3ft viv and the beardie in a 4ft, but the plated is smaller (don't know exact ages of either, but beardie is atleast 5 or 6).

My beardie absolutely loves being handled and has more personality, but then I have owned him for 4 years. The plated only arrived about 5 months ago and is still fairly nervous when handled, but he came from a pretty dodgy home covered in mites. He isn't aggressive at all, but tries to run when you pick him up and sometimes thrashes about a bit if he's unhappy, but he's getting better. I think this is more to do with his past, but then they are a species that like to burrow and I think are naturally more shy - he is pretty stunning to look at though.

Hope that's some help.

Kate

yer i think that's a help thanks a lot... im starting to sway towards the bearded because they are more readily available and i could hand rear from a baby, which would help me bond and all that

plus if there more into live food i know it will cost more but @ least i will be able to monitor what food he likes and how much he is eating a lot easier...

im defo swayed towards the bearded... hmmm plate might have to wait (no i am not trying to be a poet or anything im just naturally good :D)
plus i will need to fill the 3ft viv when the bearded is in a new bigger tank :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
does any 1 have any help as in plated, most people have made me tip towards the Beardies,

i mean i think my mind is made up on a beardie now, plated later...

i say later but i probs mean a couple ov month lol...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts