Reptile Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I'm looking for some advice. I've recently taken in a bearded dragon; which needed rehoming due to his previous owner heading to University and doesn't have the time to look after him.

He's currently in the enclosure his old owner gave me (4ft in length by 1.5ft in height and width). So far from ideal.

I've recently purchased a new vivarium for him (might have gone slightly overboard) and purchased a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft vivarium for him.

I'm having a few issues with lighting and deciding which basking bulb would be best. As I don't want him to have to be raised too high to where he can reach the bulb. At the same time, not too low for the bulb to be ineffective.

So; here's my question:
What basking bulb/type and wattage should I typically be looking at going for? His new vivarium is 2ft in height. He's an adult bearded dragon (around 2 years old).

Any advice is greatly appreciated. <3

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Hey everyone.

I'm looking for some advice. I've recently taken in a bearded dragon; which needed rehoming due to his previous owner heading to University and doesn't have the time to look after him.

He's currently in the enclosure his old owner gave me (4ft in length by 1.5ft in height and width). So far from ideal.

I've recently purchased a new vivarium for him (might have gone slightly overboard) and purchased a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft vivarium for him.

I'm having a few issues with lighting and deciding which basking bulb would be best. As I don't want him to have to be raised too high to where he can reach the bulb. At the same time, not too low for the bulb to be ineffective.

So; here's my question:
What basking bulb/type and wattage should I typically be looking at going for? His new vivarium is 2ft in height. He's an adult bearded dragon (around 2 years old).

: Hi, you haven`t gone overboard with the enclosure size, given the opportunity the dragon will use every inch, in fact a bit more height would have been even nicer as they are reasonable climbers, you also need to provide a few inches/cm depth of substrate to allow the animal to dig/burrow...
Par 38 flood beam halogen bulbs are very effective, they can be fitted with a dimmer switch which makes adjusting the surface temps easier, or obviously you can raise/bulb basking object.
Wattage depends on ambient temps in the room and of course enclosure size, what are the usual room temps both day and night?
I`ll link you to the bulbs if you respond to my message and also try and suggest a suitable wattage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
: Hi, you haven`t gone overboard with the enclosure size, given the opportunity the dragon will use every inch, in fact a bit more height would have been even nicer as they are reasonable climbers, you also need to provide a few inches/cm depth of substrate to allow the animal to dig/burrow...
Par 38 flood beam halogen bulbs are very effective, they can be fitted with a dimmer switch which makes adjusting the surface temps easier, or obviously you can raise/bulb basking object.
Wattage depends on ambient temps in the room and of course enclosure size, what are the usual room temps both day and night?
I`ll link you to the bulbs if you respond to my message and also try and suggest a suitable wattage.
Hello,

Thank you so much for answering. I appreciate the response.

We keep the room on average at about 20-23 degree's Celsius. At night the temperate drop's a little bit; however not by much.

The room his enclosure is currently in (6ft enclosure); does get a little bit of sunlight in the morning. But that doesn't usually affect the temperate too much.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would second the use of halogen bulbs. Tend to last a bit longer also.
You haven't mentioned that you have any UB lighting? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Hi,

For the 6ft vivarium's UVB lighting. I'm using the Arcadia Pro T5 UVB Kit 12% Desert

For halogen do you recommend a specific brand and wattage?

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For that size Viv I'd more than likely go for a 100w. I like Arcadia bulbs. But make sure it's connected to a good dimmer stat.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Do you recommend any specific thermostat? I know habistat and I think exo Terra make thermostats?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey everyone.

So; here's my question:

Hey I know iv hopped onto this a bit late , hope im not to late to save you a little. One thing that most people don’t know about reptiles is the enclosure always out- cost the animal. An adult B.D. Setup at minimum will cost you 300 to 400 usd. I have an extensive
Hey everyone.

So; here's my question:

One thing most
Hey everyone.

So; here's my question:

hey I know I’m lay but hopefully not to late to save you I keep many different types of reptiles and the on thing no one expects is that the enclosure is going to cost you more than the environment in almost all cases. A proper B.D. Enclosure should cost between 3 and 4 hundred usd. I know reptiles are expensive so I look to save money( never at the expense of the animal) and I’d like to pass that on to people who care about animals. The enclosure size is great. Think of your cage as an L shape for heat. Bottom left should be 80 Fahrenheit bottom right 90 then add a structure where the animal can climb to the light ranging between 100 and 115 Fahrenheit. These animals are great at thermoregulating. Use a heat mat on cold side with hardware store dimmer switch(saves money works just as well). You will need at least 100 watt heat bulb I’d go with150 on a dimmer or jumpstart thermostat. Both sides separate heater completely controlled. Hide under hot side climbing section above hide. Water bowl on opposite side so it doesn’t evaporate. And last but not least sand for substrate. As long as you have proper vitamins and calcium it is almost never a prop

·
Registered
426 Posts
Can I just use the plug of the heat source and plug it into the thermostat? Or do I need to do some wiring to connect the heat source to thermostat?
All heat sources should be on a stat.

I also agree with the use of halogens on a stat for basking

then you want T5 high output lights for UVB, you could even add 2

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Hey I know iv hopped onto this a bit late , hope im not to late to save you a little. One thing that most people don’t know about reptiles is the enclosure always out- cost the animal. An adult B.D. Setup at minimum will cost you 300 to 400 usd. I have an extensive

One thing most

hey I know I’m lay but hopefully not to late to save you I keep many different types of reptiles and the on thing no one expects is that the enclosure is going to cost you more than the environment in almost all cases. A proper B.D. Enclosure should cost between 3 and 4 hundred usd. I know reptiles are expensive so I look to save money( never at the expense of the animal) and I’d like to pass that on to people who care about animals. The enclosure size is great. Think of your cage as an L shape for heat. Bottom left should be 80 Fahrenheit bottom right 90 then add a structure where the animal can climb to the light ranging between 100 and 115 Fahrenheit. These animals are great at thermoregulating. Use a heat mat on cold side with hardware store dimmer switch(saves money works just as well). You will need at least 100 watt heat bulb I’d go with150 on a dimmer or jumpstart thermostat. Both sides separate heater completely controlled. Hide under hot side climbing section above hide. Water bowl on opposite side so it doesn’t evaporate. And last but not least sand for substrate. As long as you have proper vitamins and calcium it is almost never a prop
Hi, where are you getting your information from regarding the lowest ambient temps in particular, but also the warm side" ambients? In fact the lowest ambient during the daytime can be between 21 to 24c (72 to 75F) and there is no real need to monitor the warm side ambient unless it gets too high for extended periods @ over 38c+ (100f+). The only other temp to worry about is the basking surface which should be within the range you suggested (100 to 115f or so) the range is achieved by making sure the basking object is large enough (it doesn`t necessarily need to climb a higher object but that`s o.k, too).
No need to use a heat mat anywhere in the enclosure, if it gets to cold during the night a CHE is perfectly acceptable.
There should be a number of hiding places throughout the enclosure.
Nobody has mentioned the humidity range so I will; approx. 30 to 60%+, the lower figure will be around the basking area, the higher in the cooler parts.
Nighttime, I personally wouldn`t go lower than 19c (68f) unless the animal is brumating.
I think most keepers are aware the enclosure can be more expensive to set up than the cost of the animal!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi everyone;

final question.
If I go for halogen bulb, should I get 75 or 100w? His enclosure is 6ft length x 2ft height x 2ft width/depth.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
For reference I’m tempted to use Arcadia halogen 100w?
Hi, I would go for the 100w, it`s trial and error at this point, if you hang the basking bulb loosely you can raise/lower it to adjust basking surface temps (if static raise/lower basking object)..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts