Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive just seen him do it thismorning and its really unusual! theres no mucus coming from his mouth and his eyes, nose, and poop is fine. hes running around like a nutter as usual and eating fine :) but he did this unusual cough thismorning and its got me really worried, i dont know if its normal so i thought its best to get advise on here before booking an appointment, it could be RI?
hes 18 months old and very small!
ive got a video of him doing it to follow shortly:)

any help would be very appreciated!
emily: victory:

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Does sound like possible RI. Is he "wheezing" with it too? and is he blowing mucus bubbles when he breathes? If so, i would book a vet trip asap as it can be very tricky to treat if not caught early : victory:

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
and there's no mucus bubbles or wheezing, he's fine apart from this unusual cough:(
ive listened to his chest and it sounds as clean as a whistle, no popping or wheezing sounds

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
First of all, if he is 18 months old he shouldn't be very small! They are pretty much fully grown by now.

What is his set up like?
Temps?
UV?
Substrate?
How much/what does he eat?

:)

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i know he shouldn't be small, but the previous owner had him from a baby and she was very genuine, he's 18 months old but for some reason he looks younger! his setups just two bowls, rocks, a basking rock and a few logs, uv tube running the length and a basking bulb, at the moment it's reaching 39.1 degrees C at the hot end :) hes fed on springgreens, butternut squash, most squash really:lol2: kale, watercress and rocket, all dusted with nutrobal and calcium alternating days, then dusted live every other day, as much as he wants:) just thinking about it I did give him locust yesterday for the first time since I've had him, he always has crickets and silkworms, could this have caused this? he also looks slightly bloated, but he did a gigantic poop earlier which was fine!
and 10.0 exo terra tube and newspaper substrate:)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
i know he shouldn't be small, but the previous owner had him from a baby and she was very genuine, he's 18 months old but for some reason he looks younger! his setups just two bowls, rocks, a basking rock and a few logs, uv tube running the length and a basking bulb, at the moment it's reaching 39.1 degrees C at the hot end :) hes fed on springgreens, butternut squash, most squash really:lol2: kale, watercress and rocket, all dusted with nutrobal and calcium alternating days, then dusted live every other day, as much as he wants:) just thinking about it I did give him locust yesterday for the first time since I've had him, he always has crickets and silkworms, could this have caused this? he also looks slightly bloated, but he did a gigantic poop earlier which was fine!
and 10.0 exo terra tube and newspaper substrate:)
Hmmm.. seen as there is no wheezing or bubbling mucus it doesn't sound like RI. Has it happened since? He is fine otherwise yes?

Not too sure :whistling2:

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've booked him in for Monday so if he perks up by then I can cancel it, he's done it twice today, but he's absolutely fine in himself! running around and catching crickets :lol2: he does look slightly bloated though, could it be from the locust?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ive told him to lay off the fags but he just wont listen :devil:

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
only thismorning :) just randomly did it twice :lol2:

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
nope, hes just done it again! hes sitting on me and did it, it seems to be when hes out that he does it? its so frustrating, he looks fine in himself!:(

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hmmm wierd, personally I think it's probably nothing. My beardie Draco has a little wierd cough thing sometimes but thats especially when he's drank a lot of water or not chewed his food properly (yes he's a pig).

What yours did sounded almost like a hiccup lol. I'd just make sure he doesn't keep doing it, it will probably stop.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
theres no clicking sounds when he does it, it sounds like an airy sneeze but looks like a cough, like when a cat sneezes :lol2:

·
Registered
81 Posts
If there's not difficulty breathing and no mucus etc then I would say not an RI. Hmmm maybe you should just keep an eye on him and take him in if he carries on. There's not harm in getting him checked out I guess

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
his breathing is fine, not laboured at all, no noises coming from his chest and no mucus, he looks slightly bloated though, i think due to the locust i fed him, he hasnt had locust before with me so could the 'coughing' be a result of this? ill keep an eye and take him in monday if it persists :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've noticed Uther sometimes does this - especially just after his eaten, I just put it down to eating too quickly or a leg tickling his throat on the way down.....

he's breathing is fine not wheezing, no mucus and doesn't seem at all distressed when he's doing it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.