Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Four days ago I adopted a juvenile Bearded dragon. The first day I fed him Dubia Roaches, I tried introducing veggies and fruits (all types - that are safe), but he didn't even look at them or try. I kept offering him them, but he just doesn't find them interesting. In addition, he has a very hard time eating something that isn't moving and is not too far from his reach, for example - he will not eat a dubia roach if it paying dead or moving too far from him. Just a day ago I purchase him Buffalo worms - (in hope that he might try them), but no luck either he just does not seem to care or notice them at all. Lastly, he has not yet defecated or urinated in over four days! I'm getting worried.
Any advice would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
33,397 Posts
Four days ago I adopted a juvenile Bearded dragon. The first day I fed him Dubia Roaches, I tried introducing veggies and fruits (all types - that are safe), but he didn't even look at them or try. I kept offering him them, but he just doesn't find them interesting. In addition, he has a very hard time eating something that isn't moving and is not too far from his reach, for example - he will not eat a dubia roach if it paying dead or moving too far from him. Just a day ago I purchase him Buffalo worms - (in hope that he might try them), but no luck either he just does not seem to care or notice them at all. Lastly, he has not yet defecated or urinated in over four days! I'm getting worried.
Any advice would be really appreciated.
We need to know all the details of your set up before anyone can help.

·
Registered
988 Posts
They will always choose bugs over vegetables (don't feed them fruit). The way to get them to eat vegetables is to only offer vegetables for a decent period of time (5 to 10 days). The best vegetables for them are various green cabbages and lettuces, they particularly like Rocket.

4 days is not a worrying length of time for them to not go to the toilet.

·
Super Moderator
9,657 Posts
As said they will always choose insects over veggies. Also 4 days is not long enough for it to have settled so may only eat favourite foods at the moment. But to make sure its nothing else a run down of your set up would help such as temperature and UV.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not to get you into a bad habit but my bearded is the same with veg. So I have to hand feed him some and then kind of lead him to the rest of the veg dish. Hoping as he gets older he’ll eat more

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, I'm not a bearded dragon owner- but with my leos it's a good idea to feed them fattening foods that they particularly like like wax worms or super worms to fatten them up and to get them eating. Make sure that all of the heating is right and maybe consider going to the vet if you are that concerned. Do not force feed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts