Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far my bearded dragon won't eat any veggies (they did say at [email protected] that he doesn't eat his veg - naughty boy!) I've even tried floating some in the bath with him thinking that if it moves he might actually eat some but he just isn't interested int he real thing. He did have a tug at the artificial plants when I first put him in the viv and every so often he has another look or little nip to see if it's edible but just won't look at the real thing.

He was mostly given some kind of collard greens and red peppers previously so I haven't tried those with him as he didn't eat them before.

So far I have tried basil, rocket, baby lambs leaf, grated carrot, green beans, grated apple, kiwi fruit, grapes and cauliflower greens (which he ate about 3 bits of on his first night here).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Perhaps something that their BD absolutely loves and which might tempt mine.

I should mention that he is happy to eat hoppers, meal worms and morio worms... I'm wondering if its just because the veggies don't move so he has no interest hence the reason for trying the floating in the bath thing.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
have you tryed putting mario worms in the tub as they move they move the veg. But mine didnt eat much veg either he just preferd his marios and locus. as long as there gut loaded he will still get nutriance and just carry on placing bits of veg in

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
try putting the mealworm/morio in the veg, will make the veg move which might make him interested, mine eats his veg, but really wasn't bothered until i did this. Seems to eat it on his own now as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
have you tryed putting mario worms in the tub as they move they move the veg. But mine didnt eat much veg either he just preferd his marios and locus. as long as there gut loaded he will still get nutriance and just carry on placing bits of veg in
I have tried putting morio and meal worms in his veg but he either ignores them or deftly picks them out without touching the veg - he has a good tongue aim :lol2:

p.s. glad I'm not the only one who calls them mario worms :lol2:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try Watercress! Not the tiny stuff you buy in pots but the leaves you can buy in a bag.

I had exactly the same problem with my first beardie and many many baby beardies but they all go absolutely mad for watercress!

Hope that helps :)
Thanks for that, I will give it a try and see what happens. Just as a point of interest, can they be given the tiny mustard greens?... I bought some seeds and they are currently growing on kitchen paper as suggested. I thought I could possible just put a pot of these on the floor (still growing) and see if he finds them as interesting as the artificial plants in his viv

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Try Watercress! Not the tiny stuff you buy in pots but the leaves you can buy in a bag.

I had exactly the same problem with my first beardie and many many baby beardies but they all go absolutely mad for watercress!

Hope that helps :)
Mine didnt eat any at all in the 3 months ive had him until last night! I buy the ready made salad leaves for him and this week I got him one with rocket and water cress in and I seen him chompin away on the watercress last night i thought the greedy beggar was gonna choke the amount he was trying to eat all at once! So i would recommend trying watercress! :D :2thumb:

Reactions: rodgerthealien

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine didnt eat any at all in the 3 months ive had him until last night! I buy the ready made salad leaves for him and this week I got him one with rocket and water cress in and I seen him chompin away on the watercress last night i thought the greedy beggar was gonna choke the amount he was trying to eat all at once! So i would recommend trying watercress! :D :2thumb:
Thank you so much.... I will try and post to let you know if I'm successful :2thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.