Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking of getting a bearded dragon, are they easy to keep!! i have a gecko but she is always hiding and i would like a reptile i can pet. i am debating between a snake or a bearded, could anyone help me on this.

any suggestions

sean

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi Sean, if you want a lizard you can interact with easily, then a Beardie is probably exactly the creature for you.
However, they get fairly large and can be very big eaters, so be sure you can afford one first.(Ours costs us about £25 per month to keep! That's live food, pet insurance, substrate, food supplement, vegetables, lighting & heating) But she loves to come out of the viv & be handled, spooks the cat out a bit and skates on laminate flooring (which is a scream to watch).
If you would like something smaller, there are other lizards which can be handled, are awake and out to be seen during the day. Such as Uromastyx or some of the skinks.
I have orange spotted agamas which are active and tame but don't get as big as a Beardie, so they will cope in a 1.5mtr viv. They expect me to handle them and will throw themselves at the glass around the same time every night to remind me if I don't handle them first.
There are dwarf Dragons available too, I believe.
Whatever you end up with, remember its need for respect is greater than your need to play with it. It doesn't exist to amuse you. However, if you love & look after it, it will give you lots of pleasure.
Good luck! Let us all know what you get.

·
Registered
191 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
:oops: Aw thanks, I have always thought they are gorgeous but it's nice when someone else does, too!
I got mine at a local herp store but they have never had any in since. I paid £80 each for them.
Try asking around on the forums for anyone who knows where to get them.
They are easy to keep (similar to BDs but much smaller) and very tame for handling. They eat crix & locusts but don't seem to like veggies much (though I always offer some).
I love our agamas (the male is mine, the female my son's) but you don't find them as commonly as other desert agamids.
Keep looking, they are so worth it. :)
Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts