Reptile Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my beardie is hiding alot, im worried that he wont get enough UV.

he is about 6 months old

hasnt been for a poop for a few days and im worried about that aswell

i feed him 6 medium sized crickets a day and fresh carrot and cabbage daily. shall i stop the crickets until he poops

thank you

sean

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
if u want him to stop hiding take out his hide....i find hides make beardies a bit timid anyway.also what temps have u got him on and for how long?as for the pooping thing have u tried giving him a warm bath sometimes this helps.i wouldnt worry too much about it just now sounds to me like typical beardie behaviour at this time of year pressure changes etc....if hes eating as normal i would think this is just a case of a lazy beardie who likes his hide a wee bit too much.:smile:

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
firstly i would get it a bit warmer for him both at night and during the day..basking should be about 110 for juvies.and he should be gettin 12-14 hrs of light provided by a 8.0 or 10.0 uva/uvb bulb. by the sounds of it hes not coming out cos he thinks its time to sleep.i would try and make it a little warmer at night too maybe bump him up to 75 at night see how he goes.when did u buy your uv?? my beardie always goes weird when his is running out.uv's tend to only last 6 months.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
basking spot is 100, ambient is about 80, i have just bought uv 10.0 but he prefers hiding in the corner of the viv and digging and then sleeping. he just loves sleeping. when i get him out he just sleeps.lol
but when i got him he was scurrying around the otherguys viv.
its just weird.

sean

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
no no no not at all...in other words he wants to hibernate.i stopped mines from sleeping by giving him longer days and bumping his heat up a wee bit.also helped havin a 10.0 uv but as u say uve already got that.give him 14 hrs uv n heat see how he goes.is he drinking and eating his veg?

·
Registered
846 Posts
when you say carrot and cabbage is that the only veg you feed him?
as carrots and cabbage are not ideally fed as a staple diet more suited to occasional feeding
i would put him onto a mix of either endive lettuce,collard greens,or mustard greens,dandelion and butternut squash as a daily staple with the carrot a couple of times a week,
as for crix i let mine eat as much as they can consume in a 5 min time period 3 times a day:smile:

does sound like he is going into brumation and personally i never let mine goto in to full brumation till they were over a year old and quite big.
as said before up his temps slightly and increase lighting hours

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
yeah nurseys right cabbage hasnt got much in the way of nutrients ie:calcium.i use collard greens(spring greens) beardie loves em.also beardies dont recognise standing water..u tried dripping small drops on his nose to see if he wants a drink? i got one beardie to drink just by wriggling my finger in the water and she drank straight away.agree also with beardies not brumating till hes over a year.(enough time so he can build up). has he got a hide?? and what sand are u using? i personally wouldnt use sand till again hes over 1 year.is there a chance he could of eaten some sand?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts