Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :D

Im asking you if you will give me a breif description of how to look after a bearded dragon. My mum wants a bearded dragon as a pet and she's never had any reptile pets before, so will any expert please tell me how to take 100% Good care! As i am good with handling animals such as snakes i was wundering if bearded dragons are anything like ghecko's as i have held lots before :)

Please people help me :) :lol:

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
beardies are better for handling than geckos. if u type in bearded dragon care sheet in google u will get many of them but we may have one in our care sheet section on the forum aswell :D

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thnx fior your help !

:D Thnx for your help Blazey. Ill take that in mind for when mi mum gets hers :) much thanked

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
Re: Thnx fior your help !

?A?I?D?Y? said:
:D Thnx for your help Blazey. Ill take that in mind for when mi mum gets hers :) much thanked
Just make sure you read a caresheet before you buy one :wink:

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
better still, read several! some keepers have different opinions!

·
Registered
88 Posts
This is my personal opinion. Don't go to google for care sheets. There are a lot of bad info in most of the care sheets, others being out-dated, etc. My advise is read the care sheets on good forums (like this one) and get your info from there.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
i've never had a problem with googling care sheets, if ur reading many u soon start to realise where the mistakes are in care sheets anyway, and if ur uncertain ur most likely to clarify on a forum too.

·
Registered
632 Posts
i agree with blazely! you'l notice big mistakes as most of them will contradict really wrong info... try reading and understanding all of the ones you read, and the bits you don't get or the bits you think sound wrong or simply confuse you, ask people on here what they think! that way you can't go far wrong!

a basic list of stuff you'l need...
large vivarium
UV light
basking lamp
heat mat
thermostats
decent thermomiters x2 (one for a hot end the other for the cool end)
climbing branches
water bowl
lots of hides
a good reptile vet close by
food ie crickets, locusts, wax/meal worms
(food for the food! )
..... have i missed anythin big off?? :lol:

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Just a quick ad on:

Your need a decent UV, I normally use a Repti-glo 8.0 UV tube. As for a thermostat, your need a Dimming Stat. If you go to www.camzoo.co.uk they do a very cheap dimming stat.

As for a vivarium, i would check on Ebay, as you can buy some flat packs on there for a lot less than shops!.

Your be looking at roughly £170-200 For a setup. then the Beardie, then the food and as babies they eat LOADS!. So be prepared to spend £10-15 a week on livefood including greens/veg.

Here's a good livefood site: www.livefoodbypost.co.uk.

As babies/juvies, They should be kept on Kitchen roll or newspaper. NO reptile subtrates whatsoever! not even calci-sand!. Once they are almost a year old they can live on play sand and other sorts of subtrate flooring.

Anyway i will stop babbling, if you need any advice then just shout.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i've never had a problem with googling care sheets, if ur reading many u soon start to realise where the mistakes are in care sheets anyway, and if ur uncertain ur most likely to clarify on a forum too.

As long as you clarify some of the things your reading your good to go. My point was that you should read up to date care sheets, etc. What if you read a care sheet and it says you can feed your beardie meal worms, or pinkies, what happens then. Thats when you should ask here on the forum.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
beardie_4 said:

As long as you clarify some of the things your reading your good to go. My point was that you should read up to date care sheets, etc. What if you read a care sheet and it says you can feed your beardie meal worms, or pinkies, what happens then. Thats when you should ask here on the forum.
This is very true! I have done searches on google for a beardie caresheet and only found one that was acceptable for my customers but i decided to write my own basic caresheet in the end as it just makes "Newbies" very confused.

Also, there's a fantastic book called "The Bearded dragon manual" it covers everything and has been a big help to me in the past when i got my first dragon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts