Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
more help please my bearded likes hes greens more than anything else but having problems as i not sure i am giving him the right green can you please tell me what you all feed yours please thank you for your help

·
Registered
512 Posts
I find that mines loves mange tout and green beans! cant get enough of them!! I would suggest that romain lettuce is best for your beardie as thats what I use with mine and he loves that also, romain tends to have the most water in it so it hydrates them better too!! hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
as a rule anything curly and dark green except spinach... I generally stick to Lambs lettuce, escarole, Roddicho, watercress, rocket then throw in some sweet potato, butternut squash, apple, grapes every now and again.....

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have always used dandelions out of the back garden, this is also put in with the crickets and locusts to gut load them. the main reason for this, is that you know exactly what sprays are put on them. I have been told by alot of herp keepers and breeders that you should no longer feed stuff like kale, as there is something in it that stops the lizard digesting calcium.... And its cheap!!!!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Kale can still be used in moderation - just so long as its not a staple, it can still be part of a varied diet to help get a better range of nutrients :) I think many people have heard about its binding properties and freaked out, which has given it this image of being dangerous to beardie health.

Any lettuces are generally more water than nutrients and not of much good in the diet - although again they are good supplements to a diet.

I think its www.beautifuldragons.com that has a "good/bad" list of veggies. Staples should be things like collard/spring greens, mustard or turnip greens (if you can find the things for sale! I never have!), carrot tops...though of course as many different things as can be mixed up (bar the lighter coloured lettuces like iceburg) the better the diet will be. I tend to use the collards in every meal, varying radicchio, escarole, frisee, chard, spinach, kale, squash, carrot, rocket, watercress, beans and various fruits from meal to meal. Dandelions are meant to be awesome, as has already been mentioned, but I have yet to use those...I may have to go weeding in the warmer weather!

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
problem with dandilions is they are only plentiful in winter and you have to be careful where you get them because of pesticides etc... but my dragons love um!

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Johelian said:
Yeah definitely...my garden is very weedy, so I imagine that there will be some in there someplace!
lol mines all patio so gotta goup to the mountains :cry:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
be careful! some weeds are poisenous! try www.tortoises.net. she has a care sheet on edible weeds, and its the same for beardies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts