Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
people say bearded dragons are tame but i dont know if that is true i might b getting 1 ? do you tame them or ... please any advice ? thanks olli

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
bearded dragons are one of the/if not the most naturally tame reptile you can get. Obviously you can always get an aggressive one but most are very very docile.

my 20 month old female will let me do anything with her, pick up up watever she just couldn't care less.

babies are likely to be a little...how should i say it....fiesty, when they're young, but will soon grow out of it.

go for it oli, they are great reptiles to have and are very sociable

·
Registered
250 Posts
yeh they really tame, mine took 3 days lol!

if you get one at an early age it looks at you as a parent and they rely on you for everything even drinking or finding crickets that went under rocks :)

if you can afford to keep it and you can give it a good home i would defo get one .

·
Registered
146 Posts

I have to agree beardys are really tame. Since i got Zeus at around 6 weeks he loved to be handled and theres nothing more he enjoys than to sit on my shoulder while im about the house. Beardies really are a great reptile.

·
Registered
416 Posts
our beardie loves being handled. but he is a bit skittish when he is first picked up, he calms down pretty well. we've only had him a few weeks so he's still settling in really

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
as well as being "tame" they are unagressive meaning, for instance, we have a rather tame bosc also... but if he got out uder say, the wardrobe [bad example as to get anywhere near a wardrobe savvy would have to go through 3 rooms and up 14 stairs]
I wouldnt wana just reach under and grab at woteva... with a beardie... you generally could even at a relatvely tame standard.

Beardies are one of the best "pet" reptiles.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Totally Agree! Bearded Dragons make wonderful pets.

When there little they can be skittich and run away at the first chance they get but they soon calm down and see you as a Guardian. Offer them food and there be you buddy for life!

As they get older they seem to relax more and take life easy "LAZY" My lot love basking and watching T.V on the sofa when i let them out, DRU my female loves to look out of the window and catch the sun a little. They also love baths and most of all they love Cuddles and lots of attention.

When i got Spike my first Beardie, it was the best choice i made and fell inlove with the little guys straight away.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mostly all bearded dragons are unaggresive, however, not all are that way. the only reason why aggresive is when they are mis treated, etc. But if you handle them daily then there's really no problem. Be sure (if you get on) not to handle him within the first week, he/she will need to get over relocation stress, and handling him could make his day a lot worse :lol:

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
olli said:
what is a bosc is it a nicname for sumthing .. ?????
Bosc as in a Bosc Monitor, Very large Lizard!! Needs a room with Sky tv and a sofa, Oh and a sunbed, lol. Na but serious big Lizard! Beardie is much smaller, lol

·
Registered
88 Posts
Oh, disregard post :lol: Bearded dragons are usually 18-20" some are bigger, but thats about the right size. Usually anytime a bearded dragon is smaller then that (if he's an adult), then he's undersized, however, thats not always the case....

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
I was using our bosc [savvy, a bosc monitor OR savannah Monitor- Varanus exanthematicus]
as an example of how a beardie isnt only tame, but generally unagressive and less of a hunter by instinct so as can be trusted with your fingers even untame as much if not more thna a tame bosc monitor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts