Reptile Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi ppl i need to this site got a male bearded dragon about 8 weeks a go

just wunt to no if his viv the right size its 3ft lg 2w 2h

and the heat in the viv drops below what it should be 4 night tep how can i get the temp up

and what should i be useing on the floor of his take because i ppl have be saying to use play sand and some not

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
there are big debates over substrate,I have used both calci-sand and playsand with no problems, some people use floor lino or tiles,others use reptile carpet. Temps dropping at night can be sorted by a heatmat stuck to the back wall of the viv or by using red/blue bulbs.
Size should be ok if the dragons on its own, i prefer to use 4x2x2 foot but yours should be ok.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
markhill said:
there are big debates over substrate,I have used both calci-sand and playsand with no problems, some people use floor lino or tiles,others use reptile carpet. Temps dropping at night can be sorted by a heatmat stuck to the back wall of the viv or by using red/blue bulbs.
Size should be ok if the dragons on its own, i prefer to use 4x2x2 foot but yours should be ok.
y a red or blue bulbs

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
thast because red and blue light doesnt seem to dissrupt thier sleep, scientists are under the impression atleast that they cannot see the light/

Similar reason we have red rooms for developing photos, it allows us to see without actually having the negative effects white light does..that in this case being...er...being bright and "day time like"

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
i dont personally believe the red/blue bulb theory from experiance with my royal, but thought i'd share info. :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
You can also use a heat rock with a stat for night/ambient heat, new ones come with one on. which is a bummer as have not long bought two seperatly

lino or ceramic tiles are the safest option for substrate with astro turf and reptile carpet coming in second

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
got a heat mat the day to put on his wall should i put it on the hot end of the viv on the cold end

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
hot end mate, how big is the heat mat? in a 3ft viv ideally should be 2 foot so it covers 2/3 of the viv from far warm end to 1 foot from cool end wall...however smaller will be ok if your basking light is of a decent wattage and positioning.
If you fancy posting a picture of what you have so far ppl here can help you out more mate if need be.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
if you have it on your computer then go to www.photobucket.com
unless you have another site you use to host you pics.
Register with them by opening an account and from there you can upload pics from your com to thier site, its like an online photo album if you will.
Once your pic is up it gives you the IMAGE URL of the pic written under the picture you uploaded [as in uploaded to the internet, opposite of downloading where you dowload sumit from the internet to you comp]

you right click on that URL and copy it by clicking Copy.., you might already know this stuff, but im playin it safe sorry.
when you reply to a post like this one you are given a box to type in like im doing now and you must have done a few times already.. if you look just above the text field [where u type] you will see some grey buttons, the one that says IMG its next to URL CAN YOU SEE IT?
ok well when u wana put the pic in, click in the text box, type "heres the pic" then press enter to go to a new line like u would usually do..
THEN
click that img button
then right click ur mouse where it is leaving the cursor in the box, paste the IMG URL you copied earlier in, then click that gret IMG button a second time..

That basically tells this forum that in between the to IMG buttons is an address of a picture you want to appear there. Click submit like im now about to do ...now

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
ok good luck dude. :)

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
hi..umn thats a 3 ft viv? looks like a 2ft in the pic but anyway if that how ur viv is now then cool but your basking spot isnt very well under the bulb by the looks of it atleast, and it seems to be very much near the front of the viv at the glas, it wants to be further back nearer the uv tube, are ur temps durin the day corect? and is your beardiea male or female?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the spot light is about the middle of than viv i am just get all this cheaked out because it was that guy that i got him from that had the set up

1 - 17 of 17 Posts