Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the end of February this year I bought a Bearded Dragon from my cousins neighbour and I soon noticed strange behaviour and a reluctance to eat, which I assumed would change once he has settled.

I am concerned because although he doesn't look underweight he does look a little pale in the arms/legs and is often sprawled out under his log.

He doesn't get about the vivarium much at all and won't often bask. Once I take him out for a little run he'll either go behind the TV or in the corner behind the sofa and just sleep, he isn't very active at all.

The behaviour is also strange. He doesn't bob, ever! nor wave as I have been told by his previous owner and in fact she said the only time he did something that showed a little of his character is 2 years ago he tried to mate with her slipper.

His diet is also strange, which I was not warned about. I have offered crickets every day of which he has ate zero, be it w/ calcium powder or without. I will offer hoppers everyday of which he will eat 1-2 each day sometimes he'll have a third.

The veg/fruit thing is also strange. I offer rocket salad with Carrot/Apple/Butternut squash and blueberries and other than the odd blueberry now and then (only when rolled about on my palm) he does not show any interest in greens.

His treats he's also picky with. He won't touch wax worms and will seldom eat a meal worm. I have had a bearded dragon in the early noughties which unfortunately stolen and this is my second time keeping a dragon and I want it to be a healthy/happy dragon so any advice especially from experience would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
Could you give us some I found about your set up, size of viv, temps, uv etc. The paleness in the legs could be areas due to shed. It is not advisable to have them out of the viv for long due to not being able to keep to their optimum body temperature and this will cause him to go somewhere and hide. It also means not getting good enough uv. So that could explain some of the behaviour but without knowing your temps etc. it is difficult to say what is causing the other behaviour.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
His basking spot is close to 100 degrees and the cooler end is at 70 degrees. I put a new UV light in there a few weeks back in case it wasn't projecting uv rays despite the fact it was giving off light.

·
Registered
33,493 Posts
His basking spot is close to 100 degrees and the cooler end is at 70 degrees. I put a new UV light in there a few weeks back in case it wasn't projecting uv rays despite the fact it was giving off light.
Basking spot is much too low, needs to be at least 110f.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts