Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK my male dragon is going into a brumation state the little bugger! He's stopped eating and is sleeping loads.. My problem is that my female has just laid and looking on the thin side. I want to build her up and not let her go into brumation as well...

Question is as they are in the same viv' is the one brumating going to effect the other? any tips on how yo keep her out of brumation?

I'm not going to reduce the temps or lighting.

Also if they do both go is there a way to 'wake' them up? Is it still worth putting salad etc in there?

This is my first winter with them so I'm learning all this new sorry!

Thanks
- welshgaz

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
not gona be much help here to be honest.

I think your spose to keep the bask on incase they do wake up altho drop theoverall temp, also i think food should be kept availabe but thast all i know...or think should i say.
I reckon one going into brumation will cause the other to do the same, or atleast influence it.
I am suprised though as i though they only do so if the temps and light etc do get put down... i hope ours dont :(

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a bitch ain't! The temp's are still normal and light hasn't change at all... I just want my female to put some weight back on first.

My male weighs around 175g, female is only 110g! Gonna keep an eye on there weights at least

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
from what age do they start doing this? Ive noticed mine more sleepy too lately but they are still active at feed times and then go back to sleep :? Ive not made any changes to the temps or hours of lighting so maybe their just having a couple of lazy days.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Hey my male Peanut is doing this too and i thought he was being miserable cos i put him with a different female? He's got darker and more sleepy?? His appetite is right down and i thought it was cos i took him away from Snoopy.

He sits in the same spot all day and my other female is trying to be extra friendly to him, bless her and he's not bothered?

My other male Dude who is 3 years has been acting the same. But The rest are o.k?

Like the rest of you, I have not changed the temps or lighting times etc? but the are close to a window! And i'm wondering if they've noticed that it's getting dark earlier? Silly i know, but they must do this in the wild?

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well guys this seams all normal from what I've been reading. They more intelligent than we give them credit for i think. Apparently they sense the decrease barametric pressure as well as day night cycles. I guess even though there inside uv is on it still gets adrker outside i.e. we use artificial light.

Sure signs of brumation are a lack of appetite, digging around, longer sleeping hours and hiding out in teh cooler parts of the viv'

My only worry now is getting some weight back on my female before she decides to stop eating! I'm not worried about my male now he's fat enough ..

Heres some good reading material I've found....
http://www.reptilerooms.com/Sections+index-req-viewarticle-artid-90-page-1.html
http://www.biology.lsa.umich.edu/research/labs/ktosney/file/BDbrumate.html
http://www.georgiabeardeddragons.com/page/page/757936.htm

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Garreth,

You mentioned digging! My male has been doing this all week! same spot too! Well maybe you can fatten up your female by increasing her feeds from say once a day to twice a day.

Feed her extra crickets and give her some waxworms, I'm worried now cos Peanut is with my female who had just laid and she's still a bit thin so i'm going to do the same thing by uping her feeds.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Drago our male gas always liked to dig, but goldie gets priority cos of her nest [altho as said she has never laid and may have never even had eggs afterall]
however, goldie has been digging again and the other night i thought she was dead, was all buried in the sand and didnt appear to be breathing, even when i picked her up it took about 30 secs for her to open her eyes and start to breath heavily enough for me to notice, now im thinking maybe both our beardies are getting ready for brumation as they are both eating almost nothing, goldie some insects once every 3 days and drago a bit of salad every other day and insects on the other day but very little.

Drago will always eat wax worms though and usually mealies but havent wanted to let him too much as he has gone off his crix [i say 6 crix to one mealie and dont like to break it]
However if they are i think ill let them eat whatever they want.
I will be very sad and dreadfully worried if they do though :(

Dean

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
welshgaz, cheers for the links, the first one was particualrly handy.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no its sounds like they just find anywhere to sleep that they like the look of! I would not worry about a sleeping box...

Sounds like all our beardies are going into brumation to be honest.. my female has started as well now! didn't eat at all and is well thin! Going to keep digging around for info on how best to get them to feed again. Don't think she'll survive 3-4 months :( if anyone find out anything please let me know....

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
thats what Ive been thinking of doing Kev. My beardies are only 5 months so their not that big yet. One has took pinkies in the past so I think I try to get a couple into them over the next 2 weeks just incase.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
you can get some real small ones, ive gave one of the female leo's a couple before when she looked a little over thin after egg laying, worked a treat, im sure your beardy is bigger than a gecko now :)

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
The freezer in the shop used to be self serve but they have put a chain on it now and you have to ask :( I will take a chance and ask for 10 and give the smallest to the beardies and the rest can go to the snake. Ive also chucked in a couple of extra wax worms all of which have been eaten straight away. The crickets dont seam to be shifting at all this weekend but the beardies have been a little more active but still more lazier then usual apart from when I bring them out of the viv and put them on the floor :?

The beardie in the bedroom on her own hasnt changed at all and is running round and eating as normal , which im glad cause shes alot smaller then the other two.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Think our two are showing signs of brumation too, will have to read up on those links Gaz gave. I thought they were gettin poorly again! Its a relief to know theres not something else going on, just natural.

If there's any updates from those further on in the process please let me know what to expect!! Good luck everyone :2thumb:

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Offered my beardies pinkies yesterday and the only one who loved them was Dru! She ate 3! Greedy Piggy! I was trying to offer some to my male and she decided to snatch extra for herself!.

Also got some waxies to help gain extra weight too. But from what everyone is saying, most of our adult beardies are going through brumation which is a first for me this year.

Does anyone think it's a good idea to cut down there light hours?? from 12 hours to 10 hours a day??

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
ive been cutting back the light hours gradually from 16 down to 13 since late august, maybe a little early in hindsight, i had planned to go down to 12 or lower by mid october so i prolly drop it another half hour next week and half hour week after but i wont go lower than 12 unless they go into bruamtion as i need the lights to be on ateast a half hour before i go to work or half hour after we get back, we often work 10-12 hour days so i cannot go lower for the beardies.

No change yet, drago ate a bit last night, goldie isnt interested and hid all last night until i got her out this morn, she werent sleeping just staying in the shade [still bout 85 degrees] so not the coolest point but away from visual.

·
Registered
17,120 Posts
My female Matilda is acting like this aswell! I couldnt find her yesterday emptied the whole tank to find her under the paper towel sound asleep!!

My vet e mailed me a really good link but its on my works e mail so ill post it tomorrow... This will be the first time I have experinced this and as a lot of you im a little nervous!

Will post the link tomorrow!
Bex

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
With everyones beardies going into burmation and our female looking abit thin after her first 3 clutches this year, im just giving them a total strip down clean and going to try offering them some pinkies tonight try and fatten the female up abit as i guess ours will be following into brumation shortly hehe,

dean why dont you get some of those plug in timers ? can gt a pack of three for abotu a tenner...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts