Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i have aired it for days and days before putting him in..had the fan on today and doors open as did smell some fumes...what else can i do? cant put him anywhere else!

that the problem?? or parasites maybe??? i've no idea!!

hope he'll be ok though

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Just observed Lex convulsing whilst he's been sitting on his ledge!

any ideas?!
You've just witnessed this and your not on your way to your reptile vet? :whip:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Well i dont want or meen to alarm you unnecessarily but it might depend on what materials you have used. I have heard some people have had to leave there builds for upto and over 4 weeks to compleatly get rid of smells and stuff as the heat from a viv can make the smells come back. Is your build stuck/sealed in ? If not i wouild remove it quick and give it longer to breath.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah its stuck in.

have i reason to be alarmed?!?

should be able to rebuild his old viv for the time being i thinks!! i will get to it right away!

what are reasons behind convulsing and how do i open his mouth to check for and black cricket hind legs as i've heard these can sometimes get stuck?

many thanks for all the help/info your giving

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Imo if he has never done this before and has only done it and acted differently since you put the build in, that would be the first thing i would look at. Dont get me wrong im not saying he hasnt got parasites but that would not be my first thought if you know what i meen! Ive heard of beardies convulsing with RIs due to high humidity now the fumes would also affect his breathing, wouldnt they?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i wil act on that opinion asap and restore him to his old viv!!!

what are the common symptoms of parasites?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Well he hasnt been in there long has he? i would get as much fresh air to him as poss, even pop him in a RUB until you get the old viv set up. I wouldnt rule out the cricket leg thing but you know what size crix he has as long as there no bigger than the space between his eyes i dought it would be that. I wouldnt panic or anything but i would get him out that viv and back in his old viv asap. Oh and dont get rid of the new one just needs more time to air i would say

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i did use grout that had anti mould in i thinks...however this was covered with PVA 3 layers, then 2 layers of sand and more pva then last layer of yacht varnish.

sending poo sample off for faecal screening as a precautiong 2morrow and in mean time will monitor lex in his old viv when ive set it up....

are black crickets ok for beardies though? any problems with them?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
he's only been in there since yesterday late morning.

is there a way i can open his mouth to check as i dnt wanna hurt him in the process!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Black crix are fine for beardies, sending a sample off is great idea, and when did you use the yatch vanish as thats what i heard takes a long time to air :bash:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dynamos...shall i book a vet appointment also?

is there a way i can open his mouth to check as i dnt wanna hurt him in the process!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well finished the viv ages ago..say maybe just a lil over 2 weeks since i did final varnishing

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
A vets opinion is always worth it, ive never had to prise open a dragons mouth tbh, try putting a drop of water on his nose so he licks it off, see if you can see anything that way mate

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well setting up old viv now and will update in a few days and let u know how he is if ur interested?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah he gets calcium with every feed and vitamins at least twice a week! so he should be gettin enough of that and he's grown well with no missing parts etc or bent/curled body parts

1 - 20 of 43 Posts