Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

When I bought my beardie i was advised by the shop owner to alternate feeding each day i.e. one day crickets, next day veg, then next day crickets etc etc, but my beardie is ignoring the veg, just doesnt seem impressed. I dont want to starve him so should I stick with this or just feed crickets everyday and just put some veg in for if he wants it?

Also, when do people tend to feed live foods other than crickets? I know locusts are ok but are more expensive, and worms are more fattening i believe, so what do people find to be the best mix? Are these packs from this website a good example?
http://www.globallivefood.com/shop/home.php?cat=262

By the way my beardie is only about a month old

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, i have two bearded dragons, one absolutely loves veg the other one wasnt keep, jus hold your lizard and hold the veg infront of he/she, they will be warey at 1st.. Try different kinds of vegetables, like peas, carrots, sweetcorn.. etc.. as for live food depending on how old your dragon is depends what they can have as ive been told that they can eat baby mice wen they are over 1yr old, and baby chicks, meal worm.. Etc...
hope this helps

·
Registered
103 Posts
the way i got my big boy eating veg was by putting some meal worm on top of the veg he eat it no prob this time

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
i changed my beardies veg wen i first got him (he was on lettuce) hmmm.
changed him to collard greens and took him a wee while to eat em.
i suggest just puttin the veg in everyday..if hes hungry he will eat em...young beardies tend to eat more live food than veg.have u tried cress??? my beardie loves to rip it. just offer them to him everyday eventually he will take some u tried leaving him 2 days with livefood?? and u never know he may get hungry enough to eat them. the comment above was a really good idea puttin worms into the veg he will dig thru the veg and with any luck he will grab a bit of veg by mistake and realise he likes them.sometimes my beardie (who is 2 now) doesnt touch his veg and even has days wen he eats nothing.dont panic it will happen . :D

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
just red the post about baby chicks :?
baby chicks are too big for any beardie!!!!!!! maybe a pinkie once a month but please dont try the chicks :cry:

·
Registered
103 Posts
weeminx said:
just red the post about baby chicks :?
baby chicks are too big for any beardie!!!!!!! maybe a pinkie once a month but please dont try the chicks :cry:

i would not even try them on pinkie because if you do he will wunt them more ofter and some time they might stop eat it happend to me

·
Registered
849 Posts
Remember not to trust what pet stores say. Pinkies are NOT good treats for your beardie. They were used 20-30 years ago to fatten up females that were getting ready to breed, but now safer treats such as super or waxworms have been found. Mice bones are very hard for a BD to digest, even as a pinkie.

Also, you should be feeding crickets daily, 2-3 times a day with as much as your beardie can eat in 10-15 minutes for each session. Offer him veggies aswell with his crickets, it is normal for young beardies to not like their veggies.

Good luck.

Edit: the only staple livefoods available for BDs are crickets, roaches (lobster or lateralis are best) or silkworms. Locusts are similar to crickets but hold less nutritional value.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
agreed about the pinkies.i wouldnt give my beardie a pinkie unless he was ill etc...and yes only gravid females should be offered pinkies.etc.......but i was most concerned that giving chicks are an option :? chicks are huge!!!! my snake has chicks lol!!!!!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have been leaving crix in all the time incase he fancies some at anytime... should i remove them for later? is it a problem leaving them in? theres about 10 in there roaming about, climbing up the branch where the little buggers hiding for some reason. maybe the crix are irritating him?

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
i personally wouldnt leave crickets in
black ones bite and irritate the beardie!!!!
take em out if hes no eaten them
dont leave crickets in over night
just my opinion.lol

·
Registered
849 Posts
audinswfc said:
they are silent brown ones, do they bite? im sure they have to put up with it in the wild :roll: lol
They tend to bite less than black but will still irritate your beardie, and disturb his sleep. In the wild a beardie would eat any food when he can get his hands on it, in captivity this isnt the case :)

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
u have to remember hes not in the wild now!! and never has been!!!!! crickets will bite! ive seen beardies with toes missing due to crickets!!! beardies get stressed with their food biting them!!! take em out!! u tried feeding ya beardie somewhere else other than his viv?? if i give mune crickets he gets them in another tank..wat ever he doesnt eat goes back inthe cricket tub.give him 15 mins to eat then stop.

·
Registered
103 Posts
weeminx said:
u have to remember hes not in the wild now!! and never has been!!!!! crickets will bite! ive seen beardies with toes missing due to crickets!!! beardies get stressed with their food biting them!!! take em out!! u tried feeding ya beardie somewhere else other than his viv?? if i give mune crickets he gets them in another tank..wat ever he doesnt eat goes back inthe cricket tub.give him 15 mins to eat then stop.

well i feed mine cricket i take ever thing of the viv so i can see what he had to eat then i take ever cricket back out

·
Registered
221 Posts
hey,
just wanted say i had exact same prob when i first had Izzy and i did what someone else already suggested,
put worms on top of greens and eventually he'll eat it, the older they get the more greens they eat so i wouldn't get worried,
I know what its like when ya first get one worrying about everything :D
good luck
J

1 - 16 of 16 Posts