Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
please could someone tell me what the first signs are, that the eggs are going to hatch?

they have all grown and are due on the 7th, but i would like to know the tell tale signs of it starting.

i have 2 kids, but i think i am more excited about these babies!!!:lol2:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
What temperature have you incubated at and how many days gone are they?

That will determine when they will hatch. Also what are you keeping the eggs in? i.e. one large container, are they split into 2 smaller ones??

When the egg is due to hatch you will find that they start to sweat. It will look like dirty water marks all down the one side of the egg. Also one of the corners will start to turn black, this is not the eggs rotting! The little dragons scratch at the sides of the eggs to thin the shell out. They then pip the egg and the little heads appear :razz:

It can take upto 24hrs for a dragon to release itself from this poihnt but most are quicker than that!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have incubated at 28c, and was told this will be for 60 days. the 60th day will be on the 7th.
they are all in a small snake hatchling tub, and then in a poly box incubator

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Sounds good...

I'm assuming you have more than one tub full of eggs? Like 6 eggs in each tub...

82f should take around 65+ days I reckon. Bare in mind I had some hatch out over 100 days!

You will find that once one eggs hatches it kinda sets off all the others. The movement of the dragons gets the other going. This is why the tubs are important because they will hatch in batches. One egg goes in one tub that tub will go but the other might not...

Keep you eye out for the eggs changing colour, thats the sweating!

Also it might be wise to mention not to candle the eggs at this stage. Leave them be. If you make them move they can rip the egg yok and they might die. Also the quieter it is the more likely they are to come on out!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it was her first clutch, so i let her lay, the cooled her off(as advised) so she would not over do it on her first outing!!:lol2:

Out of the 17 eggs laid, only about 12 have not shrivelled or died off.

when you see them start sweating, would you then move them into there own tub, and would this include damp vermiculite as well? (dont think my incubator is that big :shock: ?????)

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
The less you move the eggs the better... leave them were they are, make sure the humidity is up near 80. Unfortunately its just a waiting game!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers dude, this is worse than waiting for my kids to be born.....at least i knew when they were due!!!!:razz:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heeeelllllppppp!!!!!

i have just come in from being tattooed for the last 4.5 hours to find 7 of my stronger eggs all shrivelled:shock: :shock: !

should tis happen? i have not noticed the sweating yet but they seem to have dirty streaks on them, but they have been there for about 12-14 days!:crazy:

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Eggs often dimple close to hatching so it could just be that.

Is your humidity ok? As you will have been opening the incubator a lot to check on them (as we all do) you will have lost some humidity.

If you think it could be a humidity problem then get a damp piece of kitchen roll and sit it on top - be sure to dampen the paper with water the same temp as the incubatore.

If you don't think it could be either of those 2 then pic up an egg and shine a torch through it in a dark room. Come back and post what you can see.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also it might be wise to mention not to candle the eggs at this stage. Leave them be. If you make them move they can rip the egg yok and they might die.
i thought you should not do this???

the humidity is down to 75%(ish) i will put the damp towel on them now.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
i thought you should not do this???

the humidity is down to 75%(ish) i will put the damp towel on them now.
In a normal situation you are best to leave them to it.

However at this stage i would suggest that trying it with one would be prudent.
I have no doubt that you will treat it with nothing but care so it should be fine.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sorry mate, just got in fromwork, and the eggs that shrunk a little, have all gone back to normal, except 2 but they are starting to shrivel and turn brown.

i think they call this braxton hix!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Sounds like they were de-hydrated then, atleast you'll have 10 little ones still and you'll know for next time :)

Cup is half full and all that jazz ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts